Finch vs Canary Food

Learn what to feed your birds.
Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Finch vs Canary Food

Post by Vera » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:53 pm

Can I give finch seed to my canary and canary seed to my finch? Is there much difference between the two. It would be easier to feed them the same thing. Thanks.

mohum
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Re: Finch vs Canary Food

Post by mohum » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:38 am

I just mix mine together as they all seem to eat both.
1 cat, 1 cockatiel, 3 canaries, 9 zebra finches, 1 kakariki

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:27 am

Vera

I purchase both Canary seed and Fich seed, then mix them together, offering this mixture to both my Canaries and my Finches.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Vera » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:43 am

Thank you. I thought so but wantd to check first. I thought I heard canary food can make finches fat but wasn't sure.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:50 am

Vera

As long as the kids have lot's of room to fly, they will not get fat.

Also, don't forget the greens, veggies, and some fruit. Hard boiled eggs are important for protein, with crushed egg shells on the side for Calcium.

Enjoy your birds.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Vera » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:59 am

Thanks. They love kale but not fussy about carrots or apples. I have juveniles now as well so hope their tastes are better than their parents

If they get crushed egg shell with boiled egg and there is a little cup with crushed oyster shell do they need cuttlebone and extra minerals

Thanks for the help. I am so glad this forum is available

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:16 pm

Kale is excellent.
You can also try spinach, broccoli, beet greens, baby spring mix, romaine, corn on the cob, and others. With carrots, my guys will eat it if it's grated finely. Also if you have dandelion and chick weed growing where it hasn't been sprayed with pesticides, they will appreciate that as well.

Canaries, will usually eat apples. All of my guys, enjoy a mandarin orange sliced in half. Mine also enjoy half grapes, water melon, cantaloupe, and occasionally blue berries, and strawberries.

Different birds will try and like different things. All it takes, is trying small amounts, to see what their preferences are.
~Elana~

Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Vera » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:57 pm

lovezebs wrote: Kale is excellent.
You can also try spinach, broccoli, beet greens, baby spring mix, romaine, corn on the cob, and others. With carrots, my guys will eat it if it's grated finely. Also if you have dandelion and chick weed growing where it hasn't been sprayed with pesticides, they will appreciate that as well.

Canaries, will usually eat apples. All of my guys, enjoy a mandarin orange sliced in half. Mine also enjoy half grapes, water melon, cantaloupe, and occasionally blue berries, and strawberries.

Different birds will try and like different things. All it takes, is trying small amounts, to see what their preferences are.
Thanks. I think we have been in a rut. I am going to try more of a variety with them
Last edited by Sally on Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed duplicate quote.

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:47 pm

I understand that Canary seed has more protein, so is good for breeding birds. So I give my breeding finches canary seed.

What I found amusing is that my finches will not or rarely eat dark seeds, preferring light color seeds. Whereas my canary will eat all the dark seeds.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary

kyro
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by kyro » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:25 am

My zebras love canary seed but will not eat black seeds so I avoid buying finch seed mixes with niger or other black seeds.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:30 am

I haven't had much luck getting finches to eat rape seed (the round dark seeds in a Canary mix). The canaries will eat them, though. I solved it by offering regular finch mix plus a dish of sunflower chips on the side. That seems to work for both finches and canaries.

I've read that if you offer seed + greens + boiled egg + sunflower ships, then you're providing all the nutrition that birds need.

Comments?
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Vera » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:20 am

I seem to throw alot of good seed out when I try to get rid of the empty shells - wish there was a way to not do that!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:45 am

I use the gravity seed hoppers. I find I have less waste with them, the seed hulls drop down into the drawers. I still may have a few birds who will sift through the seed, so that whole seed winds up in the drawer, but that is the exception.

https://ladygouldian.com/Vacation-Seed-Feeder
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by JerseyGuy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:09 pm

How do you prepare the greens ? In a chopper?
How about the egg shells ? Do you also crush them up in the mini-chopper?
Patrick

1 Male Gouldian finch, 1 Senegal Parrot, 1 English Bulldog and 1 Chiweenie.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:47 pm

JerseyGuy I bought a mini chopper called Ninja Express for $20 at Walmart. It is great for chopping up greens without making them mushy. It can also be used to chop up egg shells or anything else you want to serve your birds.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org