Egg good and nutrition

Learn what to feed your birds.
OAvila1986
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Egg good and nutrition

Post by OAvila1986 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:37 am

So I have my 2 pairs of breeding society fiches. Hopefully they will start to lay eggs and I know that these birds will breed and continue to breed if they have a nest.
So I feed them every once in a while egg with the eggshell and all. So that the female can replace the calcium that she lost while she laid the clutch of eggs. RIGHT???

I read onine that they need vitamin A to be able to absorb calcium or something like that.

My question is I don't see them egging the eggshell I provide them. How are they getting the calcium back?

Plus I also give them the vitamin drops that go on their water dish (sometimes) and the cuttlebone.
| Orlando |

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Egg good and nutrition

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:37 am

OAvila1986

Breeding pairs, need the protein that they get from hard boiled eggs, most especially when raising young. The extra protein, will also put them into breeding mode.

Having crushed egg shells offered on the side, gives the female the opportunity to munch on them whenever she feels the need. Cuttle bone, as well will give them Calcium, and also helps them keep their beaks trim.

Offering a drop or two of bird vitamins in their water every second day or so, is beneficial (making up for any food deficiency in their diet).

Also, don't forget the greens and veggies, important for both parents and upcoming babies).
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

OAvila1986
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by OAvila1986 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:29 pm

lovezebs thanks for the info. I need to give them greens too I can't wait to see their new clutches
| Orlando |

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:58 am

OAvila1986

Good luck with upcoming babies.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:00 am

They need vitamin D to absorb calcium which the hard boiled egg has, along with all kinds of other vitamins and minerals. Feed all Parts of the egg, yolk, whites and shell.

A good place to learn nutrient sources is here

http://www.finchinfo.com/diet/nutrients_and_sources.php

Best of luck
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Spreckles
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by Spreckles » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:14 pm

Try some bird bread recipes made with eggs. I pulse all my green food up in my food processor and they eat it all. They like romaine lettuce, cabbage any color, kale and cucumbers. They like cantelope too. My birds were not used to food initially but they are now very good eaters. I just have my first clutch and saw one baby fly out of the nest today. I put him back because I startled him. :lol:

Karen

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:33 pm

to be butter absorbed By the organism Calcium need to be from organic source like eggs shell cuttle bone etc, but also need Phosphor to be completly imbibe and digest ,a good source of this phosphore is cucumbers
good luck