boiled eggs

Learn what to feed your birds.
Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

boiled eggs

Post by Tish » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:48 am

I was wondering can I boil eggs and put them in the fridge for my finches to feed through out the week? Should they be taken out and microwaved to heat them up or should I leave them at room temperature for 30 min before I feed them? I'll be getting society finches on Monday and want to feed them right.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: boiled eggs

Post by Sally » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:07 pm

Most finches love hardboiled eggs. You can mash one up with a fork, shell and all, or you can peel the egg and offer the shell separately. Hardboiled eggs only keep in the fridge for about 3 days, so I would advise not keeping the egg in the fridge for all week. However, you can prepare egg food on the weekend and put half of it in the freezer for later in the week. I take it right out of the fridge and serve it. The egg food that is in the freezer can be put in the fridge at night, it will be thawed by morning. If your birds find that mashed hardboiled egg is a little too moist for their liking, you can dry it out a bit by adding a little commercial egg food or even just a little yellow corn meal.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:28 pm

Thank you for the help
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Vera » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:23 am

I am making crushed egg shell powder to sprinkle on my finches food. I read you can take the egg shell off the egg, boil it and then bake it until it gets brittle and then grind it up into a fine powder. When this is done can it be stored in a cupboard. Any thoughts?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:36 am

Plain egg shell can be stored at room temperature, there is nothing to go bad on it. Many people save the shells from their breakfasts. Once they are rinsed, you can nuke them in the microwave for 3 minutes, then crush them and store.

JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by JerseyGuy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:12 pm

Can you chop up the egg shells in a mini-chopper for the finches?
Will they with eat them alone, or should the egg shells be mixed with greens ?
Patrick

1 Male Gouldian finch, 1 Senegal Parrot, 1 English Bulldog and 1 Chiweenie.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:46 pm

JerseyGuy I add the egg shells to my mineral mix, and yes, you can chop them up with a mini chopper. I also leave the shells on the eggs I hardboil for egg food, since I chop them shell and all.

Spreckles
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by Spreckles » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:41 pm

I began making Bird bread recipes with separate egg shell preparation. I now use 12 eggs with the shells pureed in a food processor. I add this to 2 cups of cornmeal instead of jiffy corn bread mix. 1/4 c good oil your choice. 1 tsp Bird vitamins. I add 1/2 c of good Bird seed to my bread. Then bake it at 350 until done about 25minutes. I modified the jiffy bread recipe. Once baked I cut the bread into large squares and freeze it. I pulse one square at a time in the processor so that it's very fine. I keep it in the refrigerator in a sealed Tupperware. You can tell if it goes bad because it will stink if ruined. My birds eat it too fast. I like this recipe because I don't have to worry about how long it is out. I always smell it. Even if some is left from one morning to the next it still smells fine. I do toss those leftovers and build a fresh plate daily. I actually give 3 heaping tblsp of Bird egg bread food and the other side of the plate is pulsed fresh greens.
Lots of people here have great recipes. Experiment with what works best for you. Don't give up trying to feed them. Initially my finches did not eat anything other than seed. I got them to try it by putting seed in my bread. They eat everything now. They can pick and choose what they need from the mix. They are also hearty greens eaters now. You can sprout your Bird seed. My new fledglings just sit in the plate and practically wallow in it.

Enjoy!
Karen

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:26 pm

Tish wrote: I was wondering can I boil eggs and put them in the fridge for my finches to feed through out the week? Should they be taken out and microwaved to heat them up or should I leave them at room temperature for 30 min before I feed them? I'll be getting society finches on Monday and want to feed them right.
For a week, you will need to freeze half of it, than thaw after about 3 or 4 days.
I use my chopped egg maybe 4 days at the longest.
At a certain point, the egg becomes slimy/sticky and starts to smell. Dump it before it gets that bad. But knowing when the egg goes bad, will give you an idea of what the outside number of days that the chopped egg will last in YOUR fridge.

I give egg to the birds right out of the fridge (not the freezer).

I give breeding and molting birds egg every day.
Non-breeding and non-molting get egg 2 or 3x a week.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:10 am

Sally wrote: Most finches love hardboiled eggs. You can mash one up with a fork, shell and all, or you can peel the egg and offer the shell separately. Hardboiled eggs only keep in the fridge for about 3 days, so I would advise not keeping the egg in the fridge for all week. However, you can prepare egg food on the weekend and put half of it in the freezer for later in the week. I take it right out of the fridge and serve it. The egg food that is in the freezer can be put in the fridge at night, it will be thawed by morning. If your birds find that mashed hardboiled egg is a little too moist for their liking, you can dry it out a bit by adding a little commercial egg food or even just a little yellow corn meal.
Totally agree Sally, well said :mrgreen:

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:14 am

ac12 wrote:
Tish wrote: I was wondering can I boil eggs and put them in the fridge for my finches to feed through out the week? Should they be taken out and microwaved to heat them up or should I leave them at room temperature for 30 min before I feed them? I'll be getting society finches on Monday and want to feed them right.
For a week, you will need to freeze half of it, than thaw after about 3 or 4 days.
I use my chopped egg maybe 4 days at the longest.
At a certain point, the egg becomes slimy/sticky and starts to smell. Dump it before it gets that bad. But knowing when the egg goes bad, will give you an idea of what the outside number of days that the chopped egg will last in YOUR fridge.

I give egg to the birds right out of the fridge (not the freezer).

I give breeding and molting birds egg every day.
Non-breeding and non-molting get egg 2 or 3x a week.
Nice one, totally agree :mrgreen:

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:23 am

I don't actually use hard boiled eggs no more but when I used em I always uesd to boil and wait to cool down naturally before mixing em to me egg food mix which consisted of finely grated carrot and broccoli with cede egg food and also a very generous dose of liquid honey, the honey keeps it moist and this mix I place in a Tupperware box and keep in the fridge in me birdroom for no more than 3 - 4 days max,

However if not using the hard boiled egg, the very same mix can be made up and kept in the fridge for upto 1 week if need be with no fear of it going off :mrgreen: