millet spray

Learn what to feed your birds.
Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

millet spray

Post by Tish » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:10 pm

How often can I give millet spray to my finches? Also how much should they get?
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: millet spray

Post by Sally » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:32 pm

That is a personal preference. It is a treat, so IMO it does not need to be given every day, but others do offer it every day. When you have breeding pairs raising babies and/or fledgling/weanling babies, then I would offer it every day.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:19 pm

Sally wrote: That is a personal preference. It is a treat, so IMO it does not need to be given every day, but others do offer it every day. When you have breeding pairs raising babies and/or fledgling/weanling babies, then I would offer it every day.
Totally agree Sally, this really is the only time I tend to feed it's if it's fed on a daily basis I find the birds gorge on it and can actually become over weight which is not good prior to the breeding season because the birds then become lethargic and not as fit as they could be :mrgreen:

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:20 pm

I give my guys a fresh spray every day, although they almost never wipe out the full spray. Frankly, I find they eat less of the spray on days when I mix up the veggies and give them something new. (Recently, cucumbers.) I think the spray goes beyond food and into an activity. So adding new and exciting things for them to explore and discover seems to prevent gorging on the millet.

skyjump100
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by skyjump100 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:35 pm

all my pairs are either with young fledglings or sittings on eggs so they get millet every day at the moment. Once the young uns finish moulting I would start reducing the millet then once on a maintenance diet they dont have millet sprays only what is in their seed mix.
Simon

3 pairs of Gouldians
4 Bengalese
Maisie & Pepper (Mini Schnauzers)
Too many goldfish :)

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:36 pm

I tried my guys on boiled eggs and veggies for a week now and they ignore it. Why is that?
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:20 am

skyjump100 wrote: all my pairs are either with young fledglings or sittings on eggs so they get millet every day at the moment. Once the young uns finish moulting I would start reducing the millet then once on a maintenance diet they dont have millet sprays only what is in their seed mix.
skyjump100 wrote: all my pairs are either with young fledglings or sittings on eggs so they get millet every day at the moment. Once the young uns finish moulting I would start reducing the millet then once on a maintenance diet they dont have millet sprays only what is in their seed mix.
Spot on, agree 100 %, I use millet sprays also during the breaking season because it's a good food source for fledglings to be weaned onto hard seed being a small soft seed,

Incidentally I often soak the sprays aswell as you would with normal soak seed :mrgreen: