Where to feed your birds in the cage ?

Learn what to feed your birds.
JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Where to feed your birds in the cage ?

Post by JerseyGuy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:23 am

Is it better to feed your bird their Food and Water on the bottom of the cage, or should the Food and Water cups be up near the Perches ?

I have a large Crock of Water on the bottom of the cage, and a smaller Crock filled with Finch Food on the bottom of the cage. Is this appropriate ?

Also I can not seem to attach the Millet spray to the holders, the Millet spray keeps falling out of it and landing on the cage bottom.
Patrick

1 Male Gouldian finch, 1 Senegal Parrot, 1 English Bulldog and 1 Chiweenie.

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Where to feed your birds in the cage ?

Post by debbie276 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:05 am

I have always fed and watered my birds on the cage floor. I've never seen water in a tree :lol:
You have to be careful where you place the dishes, never under a perch or area that gets lots of droppings.
Having things for the birds at the bottom of the cage/aviary makes them go up and down more, building up the breast muscles.

best of luck
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:37 am

As far as the spray millet, I usually use either clothespins or those little office binder clips to hold spray millet, either from the top of the cage or on the side. Birds will either sit on a nearby perch to eat the millet, or actually fly to and hang on the spray.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:14 pm

Where ever you put food or water, they'll find it. I don't think 'proper place' means much to a bird.

If there are multiple birds in a cage, I put water in two places and food in two places. This is in case one of the birds turns into a bully.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:40 am

JerseyGuy wrote: Is it better to feed your bird their Food and Water on the bottom of the cage, or should the Food and Water cups be up near the Perches ?

I have a large Crock of Water on the bottom of the cage, and a smaller Crock filled with Finch Food on the bottom of the cage. Is this appropriate ?

Also I can not seem to attach the Millet spray to the holders, the Millet spray keeps falling out of it and landing on the cage bottom.
Hi Patrick,

Hope everything is ok after your message to me
I've replied back to you :D

Basically it doesn't really matter that much atall to be onest,

Placing the seed on the cage floor would be the norm,

However the water is ok on the floor aswell but not to close to the seed as you'll probably get a load of seed husk blown into it when the birds fly, me personally mate I'd use the normal flomatic tubular drinkers on the cage front and placed next to any of yer perches,

Millet sprays, again it doesn't really matter if you clip it up with a clothes peg or on the cage floor next to the seed, only give millet occasionally as a treat because birds can become obsessed with it and gorge themselves on it that much that they can become over weight :mrgreen:

Also just be aware of placing the food and water away from the perches if poss because otherwise if it's placed directly under the perches they excrete straight into their food and water :roll:

If I want the birds to bath I then place a shallow dish on the cage floor for a while normally first thing in the morning and take it back out around midday or there abouts because it's now possibly become a little dirty,

Please feel free to ask anything else :D