Pellet bird food

Learn what to feed your birds.
debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Pellet bird food

Post by debbie276 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:11 am

Interesting, I'll have to look up the ingredients in the different pellets. I thought all the fruit blends in zupreem pellets had the same ingredients whether for small or large birds.
INGREDIENTS
Ground corn, Soybean meal, Ground wheat, Wheat germ meal, Sugar, Vegetable oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), ...
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:29 am

debbie276 wrote: Interesting, I'll have to look up the ingredients in the different pellets. I thought all the fruit blends in zupreem pellets had the same ingredients whether for small or large birds.
INGREDIENTS
Ground corn, Soybean meal, Ground wheat, Wheat germ meal, Sugar, Vegetable oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), ...
Hi Debbie,

There are various pellets on the market but don't get confused with the softbill pellets as these probably have a different ingredients to other pellets,

I'm sure I've seen it before but am sure that there's an American company called Kayte products / foods that do some kind of a pellet formula,

As mentioned earlier definitely not my cuppa tea regards to feeding hardbills and other seed eaters but maybe worth checking out if you use pellets

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:36 am

I've never used pellets but now I'm curious if there is a difference.
Zupreem fruit blend was the pellet that started this thread and comes in a variety of sizes.
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:43 am

Did a very quick comparison.
The Zupreem Natural goes as small as Budgie size (S) to L

Ground corn, Soybean meal, Ground millet, Ground oat groats, Ground barley, Ground wheat, Wheat germ meal, Sugar, Vegetable oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Ground flaxseed, Calcium carbonate, Dicalcium phosphate, Iodized salt, DL-Methionine, Dried carrots, Dried celery, Dried beets, Dried parsley, Dried cranberries, Dried blueberries, Choline chloride, L-Lysine, Vitamins (Vitamin E supplement, Niacin, Calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, Biotin, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine hydrochloride, Thiamine mononitrate, Menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin B12 supplement, Vitamin D3 supplement, Folic acid), preserved with Mixed tocopherols and Citric acid, Hydrolyzed yeast, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of Vitamin C), Minerals (Manganous oxide, Zinc oxide, Copper sulfate, Sodium selenite, Calcium iodate), Rosemary extract
Crude Protein (min.) 14.0%
Crude Fat (min.) 4.0%
Crude Fiber (max.) 5.0%
Moisture (max.) 10.0%

The Zupreem Fruit Blend Goes from XS to L

Ground corn, Soybean meal, Ground wheat, Wheat germ meal, Sugar, Vegetable oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Oranges, Apples, Grapes, Bananas, Calcium carbonate, Dicalcium phosphate, Iodized salt, Natural fruit flavors, DL-Methionine, Choline chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E supplement, Niacin, Calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, Biotin, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine hydrochloride, Thiamine mononitrate, Menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin B12 supplement, Vitamin D3 supplement, Folic acid), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, preserved with Citric acid and Mixed tocopherols, Yellow 5, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of Vitamin C), Red 40, Yellow 6, Minerals (Manganous oxide, Zinc oxide, Copper sulfate, Sodium selenite, Calcium iodate), Color added, Blue 1, Rosemary extract
Crude Protein (min.) 14%
Crude Fat (min.) 4.0%
Crude Fiber (max.) 3.5%
Moisture (max.) 10%

Looks like it is the same formula for large and small birds, no change in formula between sizes
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:54 am

Kaytee Natural parrot/conure and Rainbow canary/finch has the exact same ingredients and exact same analysis.

Pretty Bird Breeder Select (sizes mini-M) and Daily Select (sizes mini-L) is the same except Breeder has Rosemary extract and mixed tocopherols.

Seems like if there is any change in formula it is not species driven. So what the large parrots are eating is the same as what the little finches are eating. :?
Debbie
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:21 am

Stuart

I actually use two different avian vets. The one my daughter works with is actually from Australia. She does not promote pellets or even sell pellets but recommends the option of pellets or supplements. Some of the birds eat less of the pellets than others so I supplement no more than once a week with the vitamins and minerals I mentioned earlier which is mixed in with the chopped kale and carrots and egg since those are sure to be eaten by all.

Owls yes have always gotten fresh seeds as do all my birds. We live by a lot of seed growers and I buy in bulk 50 lb bags of certain seeds, we also have a vendor that makes fresh seed mixes too. The finches have one blend of seeds and grasskeets another...javas have a combination of grasskeet and finch mix with Roudybush Nibles size pellets. I also have a dry egg food mix which also contains seeds in it with the mixture. All seed mixes also contain some dried herbs. Roudybush has several different formulations of pellets, foods and formula.

I also do bird bread with egg and carrots and Roudybush pellets as the ingredients... all the birds like that. Variety of nourishing foods is key with these guys. Even when the big push when pellets first arrived on the market was to not include seed I always did except with one ill bird our other vet was working closely with until better. Even on some of the groups when people say they want to switch the birds over to just pellets I recommend doing seed along with pellets. Birds are happier.

If looking for a more natural pellet there are a few out there, Try Goldenfeast, Totally Organic or Harrisons. Goldenfeast also sells nice seed mixes, veggies and fruit mixes as well as the Australian Blend which all my birds love and is a welcome supplement with seed. No preservatives.
Last edited by cindy on Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:34 am

Jerseyguy.... there is a company in NJ called ABBA Seed. They make a lot of really good seed mixes and egg foods, supplements check them out. You can order or pick up from them as well, they have a show room!!! http://www.abbaseed.com/

~ My Facebook groups ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:40 am

This is Goldenfeasts' link https://goldenfeastdirect.com/ if you call them they may still be sending out a samples of foods to try...get small quantities of the products to try at first to make sure your birds like it.

You can comparison shop between Goldenfeast and Kings Cages (also out of NJ and you can pick up there as well) Kings cages carries Goldenfeast and a few other products, offers free shipping past a certain $$ amount and runs specials from time to time on products.

~ My Facebook groups ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:59 am

Great discussion on diet. Our bird club had a speaker last year who is a local avian vet, well-respected. Like most avian vets, his experience is more with the larger hookbills than finches. His talk was on avian nutrition, and he still advocates an all-pellet diet, supplemented of course with fruits/veggies/minerals. Our members with hookbills all feed a varied diet, using both pellets and seed, and all agreed that though they enjoyed the talk, they would continue with their own programs, as they worked for them.

As with many aspects of keeping birds, each person has to work out their own program. Though the birds' welfare comes first, a program still has to fit in with the time and money that a keeper has. Most people experiment with various diets, figuring out what works for them and their birds. What works for one may not work for another.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:28 am

Well said Sally!!!!

~ My Facebook groups ~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:33 am

Sally wrote: Great discussion on diet. Our bird club had a speaker last year who is a local avian vet, well-respected. Like most avian vets, his experience is more with the larger hookbills than finches. His talk was on avian nutrition, and he still advocates an all-pellet diet, supplemented of course with fruits/veggies/minerals. Our members with hookbills all feed a varied diet, using both pellets and seed, and all agreed that though they enjoyed the talk, they would continue with their own programs, as they worked for them.

As with many aspects of keeping birds, each person has to work out their own program. Though the birds' welfare comes first, a program still has to fit in with the time and money that a keeper has. Most people experiment with various diets, figuring out what works for them and their birds. What works for one may not work for another.
Totally agree, well said Sally :D

JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by JerseyGuy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:03 pm

Sally wrote: Great discussion on diet. Our bird club had a speaker last year who is a local avian vet, well-respected. Like most avian vets, his experience is more with the larger hookbills than finches. His talk was on avian nutrition, and he still advocates an all-pellet diet, supplemented of course with fruits/veggies/minerals. Our members with hookbills all feed a varied diet, using both pellets and seed, and all agreed that though they enjoyed the talk, they would continue with their own programs, as they worked for them.

Yes, I agree, any discussion on Diet is always informative and educational. I went thru this same process with my English Bulldog, who has Allergies, skin problems, Hyperkeratosis, etc. It was a struggle with him from the time I got him at 4-months of age. His Diet plays a very important role in his care and maintenance.

It all comes down, for me, to Observation. I watch my finches daily as they eat. I saw immediately that they were favoring Millet spray and avoiding their other seed mixes. Hence my inquiry on this. I now only offer Millet spray twice per week in their cage. I had a seed cup of just pellets. They totally avoided this. I realized and learned from this forum that Pellets need to be added to their seed mixture.

When I had Parrots, I never offered them a pelleted diet. Fruits, veggies, and seeds were their diet. I guess the same has to be offered to my Finches.

Diet is a fascinating topic for discussion, and I hope this continues here.
Patrick

1 Male Gouldian finch, 1 Senegal Parrot, 1 English Bulldog and 1 Chiweenie.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:23 pm

JerseyGuy wrote:

Yes, I agree, any discussion on Diet is always informative and educational. I went thru this same process with my English Bulldog, who has Allergies, skin problems, Hyperkeratosis, etc. It was a struggle with him from the time I got him at 4-months of age. His Diet plays a very important role in his care and maintenance.

It all comes down, for me, to Observation. I watch my finches daily as they eat. I saw immediately that they were favoring Millet spray and avoiding their other seed mixes. Hence my inquiry on this. I now only offer Millet spray twice per week in their cage. I had a seed cup of just pellets. They totally avoided this. I realized and learned from this forum that Pellets need to be added to their seed mixture.

When I had Parrots, I never offered them a pelleted diet. Fruits, veggies, and seeds were their diet. I guess the same has to be offered to my Finches.

Diet is a fascinating topic for discussion, and I hope this continues here.
Hi Patrick,

Nice to here and glad that yer constantly learning and picking up tips etc from the forum,

Diet is a major topic when talking about birds and will always have a big place on a forum which is a good thing ,

As British telecom states " it's good to talk " and rightly so

I'm known over the years for not giving up on such topics an debates and often get very much involved and get right down to the nitty gritty and sooner or later get very near to the bottom of such subjects,

Sometimes it's the only way because if we don't discuss and talk, then we'll never know :mrgreen: