Pellet bird food

Learn what to feed your birds.
cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Pellet bird food

Post by cindy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:04 pm

the ratio given to me was 50/50 for finches and 50/50 to 80/20 (seed) for hookbills. The mental stimulation of pick through and hulling seed is important.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by JerseyGuy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:41 pm

I have a variety of Seed mixes available for them from a number of Brand names. My 2 boys are eating well and drinking well, are active and vocal.

I will offer the chopped Egg on a weekly basis to see if they will try it.

I also feed them Quiko Egg Food, so I am offering them a variety of foods and I have to begin to introduce Greens to them also.
Patrick

1 Male Gouldian finch, 1 Senegal Parrot, 1 English Bulldog and 1 Chiweenie.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:27 pm

cindy wrote: if using a pelleted diet also use seed, the old way was pellets only and they are now finding/saying seed and pellets, even with the bigger parrots....it is a personal choice to use pellets or not. I have had only one hookbill on all pellets and it was due to an medical issue and only for a short time.
Sorry but don't quite know what you mean as pellets being old :shock:

Finches and canaries have been bred for the last few hundred years and their diet has always been predominantly SEED as after all they are seed eaters

Do we see wild finches anywhere in the world eating pellets or such like,

I'm afraid that the answer would be NO :roll:

Pellets are are actually quite new in terms of feeding birds starting in the poultry fancy and also branching out to chickens, game birds and then onto parrots,

Why it ever came about feeding pellets to parrots I don't know because parrots are seed eaters aswell :roll:

To be onest I think it's absolutely ridiculous to give what is regarded a seed eater a pellet diet,

Birds like softbills do not have a crop, their diet is obviously a proprietary softbill food and live food,

You wouldn't give a mynah bird parrot mix so why give finches and canaries pellets, it's not natural.

Ok I know finches and canaries eat egg food as its high in protein and I suppose a few pellets won't do any harm but the big problem is that there are some raw beginners and novices that intend to feed their birds nothing but pellets and this is where the diet will be wrong :roll:

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:19 pm

debbie276 wrote: Absolutely agree with Stuart. They are seed eaters after all. With a good varied diet, hard boiled eggs, greens and a good mineral mix you should be good to go.

best of luck
Totally agree Debbie,

At least someone agrees with me :mrgreen: ....lols

If I were to mention to many of me freinds here in the uk about a pellet diet for finches and canaries, they wouldn't stop laughing,

That I can guarantee and sadly it appears that many other people are easily led as regards to bird foods etc :roll:

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:28 pm

debbie276 wrote: Honestly it was once believed to be a good idea to switch your bird over to an all pellet diet. Recently people and vets are recommending that seeds are added to their all pellet diet. Not positive what the ratio is set at at this time as I don't feed pellets.
Pellets were supposed to be more nutritious and no mess for the owner. I believe they are finding that the natural stimulus of de-hulling the seeds was not being satisfied along with other things I'm sure. All that powder in the bottom of their dishes were from the bird trying to de-hull their pellets.
The first few ingredients of zupreem:
INGREDIENTS
Ground corn, Soybean meal, Ground wheat, Wheat germ meal, Sugar, Vegetable oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Oranges, Apples, Grapes, Bananas,

I prefer a more natural diet with a much greater variety of choices then just that pellet.

I'm sure over time you will fine tune your particular preferences.
good luck
Absolutely, totally agree 100% :mrgreen:

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:38 pm

JerseyGuy wrote: I have a variety of Seed mixes available for them from a number of Brand names. My 2 boys are eating well and drinking well, are active and vocal.

I will offer the chopped Egg on a weekly basis to see if they will try it.

I also feed them Quiko Egg Food, so I am offering them a variety of foods and I have to begin to introduce Greens to them also.
Nice one Patrick,

You appear to be having more confidence with yer birds which is obviously a good thing,

I see you mention Quiko egg food, good stuff that is as I know the originator of the foods Russell lidiat from double Dutch Avian and his foods have a very good reputation here in the uk for many of the British finch and canary breeders and exhibitors :mrgreen:

Keep firing the questions at us all because that's how you learn,

I was exactly the same as you 36 years ago and had a massive thirst for knowledge and still have,

Don't matter how old we are we never stop learning :D

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:21 pm

Stuart whiting wrote:
cindy wrote: if using a pelleted diet also use seed, the old way was pellets only and they are now finding/saying seed and pellets, even with the bigger parrots....it is a personal choice to use pellets or not. I have had only one hookbill on all pellets and it was due to an medical issue and only for a short time.

Finches and canaries have been bred for the last few hundred years and their diet has always been predominantly SEED as after all they are seed eaters

Pellets are are actually quite new in terms of feeding birds starting in the poultry fancy and also branching out to chickens, game birds and then onto parrots,

Why it ever came about feeding pellets to parrots I don't know because parrots are seed eaters aswell :roll:

To be onest I think it's absolutely ridiculous to give what is regarded a seed eater a pellet diet,

Birds like softbills do not have a crop, their diet is obviously a proprietary softbill food and live food,

You wouldn't give a mynah bird parrot mix so why give finches and canaries pellets, it's not natural.

Ok I know finches and canaries eat egg food as its high in protein and I suppose a few pellets won't do any harm but the big problem is that there are some raw beginners and novices that intend to feed their birds nothing but pellets and this is where the diet will be wrong :roll:
Years ago many were told to only feed pellets. The thought now and I discussed this with my avian vet...as I said earlier they found that birds on a pellet only diet do need some seed in their diet. Adding pellets to a diet is as stated before a personal choice.

I offer a very wide range of foods for all my birds (finches and hookbills) pellets are just another choice I give them. I have owl finches that are 9 and 10 years old and they eat pellets, assorted fresh seeds from local growers, egg, dried egg foods, veggies, Goldenfeast Australian Blend, chitted and sprouted seeds. I also offer Roudybush to both finches and hookbills as well.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:26 pm

Some years ago, I switched all my birds over to an all-pellet diet. It was being promoted by avian vets as the way to go. I was thrilled with the results at first, as I had no hull mess to deal with. I loved that there was less work for me.

One day, working in the bird room, it occurred to me that the birds were much quieter than they had been. I realized that they were less active, and they were not singing as much. The only change I had made was switching them over to an all-pellet diet.

I switched them back to seed, and the change was remarkable. They became more active again, and the room was filled with their singing. I realized that I had taken away the natural way of eating, the enjoyment of picking through a mix for favorite seeds, and the normal effort of hulling the seed. I now realize that I need to enrich their lives, not make it easier for me. I no longer feed pellets, just don't bother with them.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:53 am

cindy wrote:
Stuart whiting wrote:

Years ago many were told to only feed pellets. The thought now and I discussed this with my avian vet...as I said earlier they found that birds on a pellet only diet do need some seed in their diet. Adding pellets to a diet is as stated before a personal choice.

I offer a very wide range of foods for all my birds (finches and hookbills) pellets are just another choice I give them. I have owl finches that are 9 and 10 years old and they eat pellets, assorted fresh seeds from local growers, egg, dried egg foods, veggies, Goldenfeast Australian Blend, chitted and sprouted seeds. I also offer Roudybush to both finches and hookbills as well.
Hi cindy,

I've noticed that you've also got some other good items of food stuff within yer birds diet and is good,

I suppose as I mentioned that a few pellets are ok mixed in with their main staple diet,

Don't know if you give your bicheno's ( owl ) finches any seed aswell, I presume that you obviously do :D

Im also glad that you did speak to an avian vet about the pellets because if the vet is worth their salt they rightly will say that seed must definitely be included into their diet and I'd personally say at least 75 % seed or more to the pellet ratio :D

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:57 am

Sally wrote: Some years ago, I switched all my birds over to an all-pellet diet. It was being promoted by avian vets as the way to go. I was thrilled with the results at first, as I had no hull mess to deal with. I loved that there was less work for me.

One day, working in the bird room, it occurred to me that the birds were much quieter than they had been. I realized that they were less active, and they were not singing as much. The only change I had made was switching them over to an all-pellet diet.

I switched them back to seed, and the change was remarkable. They became more active again, and the room was filled with their singing. I realized that I had taken away the natural way of eating, the enjoyment of picking through a mix for favorite seeds, and the normal effort of hulling the seed. I now realize that I need to enrich their lives, not make it easier for me. I no longer feed pellets, just don't bother with them.
Fully agree 100 % Sally, I rest my case on the subject :mrgreen:

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:17 am

Sheather wrote: I feed Roudybush pellets to my all of my birds as a staple, from finches to cockatiels, a dove, parakeets, and canaries.

I like the convenience, I like that it's complete nutrition, and all of my birds eat them without any hesitation. Finch and parrot pellets are not the same as softbill pellets, they are a specific formulation designed for a seed-eater's needs, so it's not ridiculous - no more so than feeding cat kibble versus raw animal parts or whole rodents. It's less natural, but it isn't inherently worse. Birds in the wild eat a much broader diet than I can feasibly provide my captive birds with, and the pellet food ensures there are no gaps in their nutrition. In particular, wild birds don't eat only dried seed, most of their diet is fresh green immature grass seed, which is more nutritious than what we offer.

My birds don't eat strictly pellets, they do still get dry seed mix, fresh greens, fruit, and egg food, but the pellets are the staple, and I don't mind paying for pellet food. It comes to about the same price per pound as mixing a good finch mix that won't result in wastage. My cat eats a dry kibble diet, and my pet rats eat a formulated rat diet, supplemented with fresh food.
Dylan, we obviously know that softbill pellets are not the same, I was just saying as an example,

I don't think you quite get the point about the pellets and as for soak seed, I've been feeding this along with wild seeds for well over 30 years and obviously know about its benefits and nutrition,

All I'm saying on the matter is that pellet should never ever be thought of as a convenient food source to use as apposed to the use of seed because that would be entirely wrong,

The convenience should never be about ones self, the birds welfare should be at stake here and made sure their actually consuming the correct food as pellets as mentioned are not natural,

Ask yourself one question:.....why feed birds on an artificial diet when the real thing has surley gotta be better, it's not rocket science :roll:

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:30 am

All I'm saying on the matter is that pellet should never ever be thought of as a convenient food source to use as apposed to the use of seed because that would be entirely wrong.

The convenience should never be about ones self, the birds welfare should be at stake here and made sure their actually consuming the correct food as pellets as mentioned are not natural.
I suppose I'll have to be wrong then, but I don't think my birds are suffering. I like pellet foods and will continue to utilize them as a major part of my birds' diet.
~Dylan

~~~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:12 am

Sheather wrote:
All I'm saying on the matter is that pellet should never ever be thought of as a convenient food source to use as apposed to the use of seed because that would be entirely wrong.

The convenience should never be about ones self, the birds welfare should be at stake here and made sure their actually consuming the correct food as pellets as mentioned are not natural.
I suppose I'll have to be wrong then, but I don't think my birds are suffering. I like pellet foods and will continue to utilize them as a major part of my birds' diet.
Please don't think I was deliberately trying to pick holes as that simply wouldn't be the case,

I do respect anybody who decides to feed any form of a pellet diet because end of the day who am I to change someone's way of feeding,

All I'm doing really Dylan is trying to educate a few beginners and novices that an all pellet diet is no good for seed eaters,

Pellet in modern I suppose would be acceptable the birds should religiously still have the required seeds,

Hope you can sought of understand where I'm coming from :roll:

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:26 am

Most casual bird owners (that is to say, none of us!) tend to just think straight dry seed mix is a complete diet for a finch and offer nothing else (maybe a slice of celery every now and again if the bird is lucky). This is a very insufficient diet for maximum health and especially breeding. I think compared to only dry seed, only pellets is much better, but not ideal. As I said, I supplement my pellet diets heavily with natural food sources but at the end of the day the pellets are for convenience. I don't have time to soak seed or gather wild seeding grasses every day here in the city. I provide greens, but I'm relatively limited in what I can get for the birds and none of it (lettuces and broccoli and kale and chard, etc) are what they'd actually eat in the wild. They also wouldn't eat boiled eggs. Pellets provide some extra guaranteed balanced nutrition to fill in any gaps in the rest of what they eat, and they're just another way to try and replicate the benefits of a natural diet with what I have available here, an ocean away from where these birds would live in nature.

While the birds prefer seed, my birds don't balk at pellets and I don't find they crush them to dust trying to hull them. They empty their dishes, and what little bit of powder remains they will eat when the bigger pieces are gone.

If you don't think anything is wrong using pellets to round out a softbill's diet instead of fruits and insects, then what's wrong with pellets as a part of a finch's diet instead of (or in my case, in addition to) dry seed? Both instances are unnatural - but then, so is almost everything about our birds' lives already. Most of my birds were raised on partially pellet diets and that's just what food is to them. While hulling and cracking seed is enriching to finches, it's also not the only thing to keep them occupied and stimulated. Toys, large enclosures, and natural environments are also important, I find.
~Dylan

~~~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:05 am

Sheather wrote: Most casual bird owners (that is to say, none of us!) tend to just think straight dry seed mix is a complete diet for a finch and offer nothing else (maybe a slice of celery every now and again if the bird is lucky). This is a very insufficient diet for maximum health and especially breeding. I think compared to only dry seed, only pellets is much better, but not ideal. As I said, I supplement my pellet diets heavily with natural food sources but at the end of the day the pellets are for convenience. I don't have time to soak seed or gather wild seeding grasses every day here in the city. I provide greens, but I'm relatively limited in what I can get for the birds and none of it (lettuces and broccoli and kale and chard, etc) are what they'd actually eat in the wild. They also wouldn't eat boiled eggs. Pellets provide some extra guaranteed balanced nutrition to fill in any gaps in the rest of what they eat, and they're just another way to try and replicate the benefits of a natural diet with what I have available here, an ocean away from where these birds would live in nature.

While the birds prefer seed, my birds don't balk at pellets and I don't find they crush them to dust trying to hull them. They empty their dishes, and what little bit of powder remains they will eat when the bigger pieces are gone.

If you don't think anything is wrong using pellets to round out a softbill's diet instead of fruits and insects, then what's wrong with pellets as a part of a finch's diet instead of (or in my case, in addition to) dry seed? Both instances are unnatural - but then, so is almost everything about our birds' lives already. Most of my birds were raised on partially pellet diets and that's just what food is to them. While hulling and cracking seed is enriching to finches, it's also not the only thing to keep them occupied and stimulated. Toys, large enclosures, and natural environments are also important, I find.
Yep I can go along with that,

I agree about the softbill diet using specialised pellets as a true softbill diet would be quite difficult to mimic what they'd have in the wild,

If living in the city I can also fully understand about not getting and having the time to gather wild seeds etc,

Incidentally the use of soak seed is actually quite easy and isn't really time consuming,
If you intend to sprout it admitinly it will take longer but I only soak it,

This is how I do it :...... Take a scoop of seed and place in a bowl, then add enough water to cover seed and then place in the fridge, I normally do this in the morning when I'm attending to me birds,

I leave the soak seed in the fridge for about 24 hrs until the next morning, I then take the seed out of fridge and tip it into a large fine mesh wire sieve and rinse it under the tap for about half a minute and then tip this into the bird dishes,

I then replace the bowl with another scoop of seed, cover with water and repeat the same process by leaving in the fridge for another 24 hrs until the following morning :mrgreen:

After a while you sought of get into a quick routine,

I only really use the soak seed when I'm breeding :D