GRIT

Learn what to feed your birds.
Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

GRIT

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:10 am

Hi peeps,

A little while ago I was in discussions about the use of grit and for over 30 odd years have always used some form of grit for me finches and canaries,

I noticed that quite a few people from the United States seem to think that finches don't need grit as they hull there seed and not swallow whole,

I'm still optimistic about this and not fully convinced about this as some of the very best finch breeders in the world swear by using grit as even though finches and canaries hull seed they still use a very smal amount of grit to aid digestion :roll:

I found this on one of my forums and this is wording from a very good finch breeder from Australia,

Don't exactly know where some people in the United States are getting their info from but seriously need to look into this properly along with many other issues that don't really seem to fit the bill eaither so to speak :roll:

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: GRIT

Post by debbie276 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:15 am

I'm curious what the vet said ;)
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:20 am

debbie276 wrote: I'm curious what the vet said ;)
Yea I am aswell Debbie :mrgreen: .....lols

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:38 am

Stuart whiting@debbie276

This debate has been going on forever. I personally have never given grit to my birds, but I've always given them a mineral mix, which consists of various minerals plus soluble calcium sources. I think each person has to decide for themselves whether or not to offer grit (insoluble minerals) or a soluble mineral mix. The old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here! :lol:

I'll move this topic to the Diet and Nutrition forum.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:27 am

Sally wrote: Stuart whiting@debbie276

This debate has been going on forever. I personally have never given grit to my birds, but I've always given them a mineral mix, which consists of various minerals plus soluble calcium sources. I think each person has to decide for themselves whether or not to offer grit (insoluble minerals) or a soluble mineral mix. The old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here! :lol:

I'll move this topic to the Diet and Nutrition forum.
Yep I think yer probably right Sally, possibly some birds will utilise the grit and some won't, might actually depend on the species and if this was to be the case it would then obviously be a lot harder to sus because as we know there are an awful lot of finch species,

This may proof to be feasible but end of the day who knows ,

Could simply just be a case of trial and error on certain birds,

To be onest I may not necessarily feed straight grit but will definitely still give all of my birds a separate small d-cup drinker hooked on the cage with some oyster shell in.

I know that the oyster shell dissolves but at least it's full of calcium and if it aids any form of digestion then so much the better :mrgreen:

One of my all time motto's aswell: if it ain't broke, don't fix it :roll:

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:56 pm

I am one that use to offer the blue mineral grit chips and no longer do so...I have seen to many cases in finches where it has caused impaction. One such case the grit was blocking the food from emptying the crop, the bird feeling hungry constantly kept eating seed, the crop were doubled in size, meanwhile the lower belly was wasting away, the bird died from malnourishment. Very sad. I have also been called over to the avian vet's to look at a necropsy with a similar issue with a friend's bird that was so impacted with charcoal from gorging on it that it died..... crop was full of charcoal, three proso seeds in the crop and the lower body was emaciated.

My birds are getting additional calcium via foods, pellets (specific formulation) and a weekly supplement and prior to the hens laying eggs. I do however hang cuttlebone and give powdered egg shell.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by JerseyGuy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:03 pm

Ok, so bottom line, are we supposed to be offering Grit to our finches?
If so, what type ? I just purchased Kaytee High-Calcium Grit for small birds. Instructions say to offer this Grit in a separate food dish.
Patrick

1 Male Gouldian finch, 1 Senegal Parrot, 1 English Bulldog and 1 Chiweenie.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:31 pm

cindy wrote: I am one that use to offer the blue mineral grit chips and no longer do so...I have seen to many cases in finches where it has caused impaction. One such case the grit was blocking the food from emptying the crop, the bird feeling hungry constantly kept eating seed, the crop were doubled in size, meanwhile the lower belly was wasting away, the bird died from malnourishment. Very sad. I have also been called over to the avian vet's to look at a necropsy with a similar issue with a friend's bird that was so impacted with charcoal from gorging on it that it died..... crop was full of charcoal, three proso seeds in the crop and the lower body was emaciated.

My birds are getting additional calcium via foods, pellets (specific formulation) and a weekly supplement and prior to the hens laying eggs. I do however hang cuttlebone and give powdered egg shell.
Interesting cindy,

Incidentally would you use oyster shell as a calcium source as it obviously dissolves and could possibly still aid digestion at the same time :roll:

Be interested to here a few views on this :mrgreen:

JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by JerseyGuy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:09 pm

I have hung Cuttlebone in the finch cage ----- I have yet to see either finch go near it . :?:
Patrick

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:39 pm

I offer oyster shells and egg shells from my hard boiled eggs as calcium sources in my mineral mix.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

JerseyGuy
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by JerseyGuy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:51 pm

debbie276 wrote: I offer oyster shells and egg shells from my hard boiled eggs as calcium sources in my mineral mix.
Hi -

Where do you obtain 'oyster shells' and what is your 'mineral mix' ?
Patrick

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:16 pm

JerseyGuy wrote: Ok, so bottom line, are we supposed to be offering Grit to our finches?
If so, what type ? I just purchased Kaytee High-Calcium Grit for small birds. Instructions say to offer this Grit in a separate food dish.
It is a personal choice. I checked the manufacturer's site and these are the ingredients:

Granite Grit, Oyster Shell, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Charcoal, Mineral Oil, Orange Oil, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Copper Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate.

The first ingredient listed is granite grit. I personally do not feed this type grit. I just ordered some of Hagen's crushed oyster shell to try out.

http://usa.hagen.com/Bird/Nutrition/Supplements/B2460

You can find oyster shell at many feed stores sold for poultry, but it is usually too big for finches, so you have to grind it down, which is why I decided to try the Hagen.

Since you are in NJ, ABBA Seed is in that state, don't know if it is close, but they make a mineral mix that I use as part of my mix. I also grind down the ABBA mix and have never had a problem with it.

A really good mineral mix is here:

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11830

I make a variation of this mix, grinding it all up in a mini food processor, and store it in a jug.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:19 pm

cindy wrote: I am one that use to offer the blue mineral grit chips and no longer do so...I have seen to many cases in finches where it has caused impaction. One such case the grit was blocking the food from emptying the crop, the bird feeling hungry constantly kept eating seed, the crop were doubled in size, meanwhile the lower belly was wasting away, the bird died from malnourishment. Very sad. I have also been called over to the avian vet's to look at a necropsy with a similar issue with a friend's bird that was so impacted with charcoal from gorging on it that it died..... crop was full of charcoal, three proso seeds in the crop and the lower body was emaciated.

My personal opinion is that if birds are gorging on mineral mix or charcoal to the point of impaction, there is something else going on with the bird that caused it to gorge. I don't believe a normal, healthy bird will gorge on minerals or charcoal to the point of impaction.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:55 pm

I tend to agree Sally. My vet said after the necropsy that if you see the bird is constantly in the charcoal bowl, he is trying to soothe themselves, not feeling well and it is best to address the issue and not let them continue taking in charcoal. Charcoal will not correct everything.

~ My Facebook groups ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:56 pm

They do make a powdered oyster shell, Bird supply of NH sells it.

~ My Facebook groups ~