Fat, fiber, carbs, protein and carrot seeds

Learn what to feed your birds.
S3litoss
Pip
Pip

Fat, fiber, carbs, protein and carrot seeds

Post by S3litoss » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:26 pm

Hi, I've just registered, I'm Spanish so forgive me about bad english.
I have... a few questions.

First of all I need to clear up the macronutrient ratio needed in a finch diet, I've read here 12%min for protein in a maintenance diet and over 20% in breeding season, Ok. But what about fats, carbs, and fiber?
also here it says about 4% fats in maintenance, in the other hand it's recommended pelleted food and harrison's one has 12% of them.
Then there's fiber and carbs, carbs have to be the staple macronutrient, but in what ratio? and is fiber quantity needed to be established?

Almost the end, Have you guys heard about carrot seeds? only I now that they're hight in protein and low in carbs but fat ratio is unknown by me. I'd like to find some hight protein low carb and fat seed, fenugreek and soy are discarded, for being highly estrogenic. And anyone could tell me the nutrient profile of "gold of pleasure" (Camelina Sativa) ?

I'm so sorry about asking so many stuff :YMPRAY: THANKS

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Fat, fiber, carbs, protein and carrot seeds

Post by Sally » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:01 pm

S3litoss Welcome to the forum! And don't worry about asking questions, that is what this forum is for. Your English is great, by the way.

There's lots of good reading about nutrition at www.finchinfo.com, Here is a link to an article on nutritional requirements:

http://www.finchinfo.com/diet/nutrition ... ements.php

Sorry, but I don't know anything about carrot seeds or gold of pleasure. Most American avian vets are now recommending that if pellets are fed, they only be a part of a bird's diet, not a complete diet. Finches still should be fed seeds, veggies, etc.

What kind of birds do you have? We always love photos!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

jonvill
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by jonvill » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:47 pm

I have feed Gold of Pleasure seeds to my European goldfinches. They seem to like it. I also add it to my morning smoothies.
Here is a web page with some info:
www.siberiantigernaturals.com/camelinaoil.htm

S3litoss
Pip
Pip

Post by S3litoss » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:13 pm

Thanks Sally, wow I was a little bit confused, so pelleted food never has to be as only feed. OK

Actually had taken a look at that section, It's very helpful, but I needed what you have just explained.

That are good news, Jonvil! I could easily purchase them, so if they are suitable I'll add them to the mix, if not... maybe as a treat. I'm afraid of they are too hight in fats. Anyway, nice, interesting link!! Thanks

Now I don't have any birds :shock: I have had several budgies but it was an awful experience, I loved them but it was going terrible bad, any attempts to breed failed and too many escapes to count, for sure I did many things wrong and now I don't want to. And maybe melopsittaccus undulatus wasn't the most convenient bird for us. So I'm planning to keep Societys in a laaaaarge cage outdoors, and if all goes fine, try to breed.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:35 pm

Societies are a great starter finch, but if you are planning to keep them outdoors, and you've already experienced escapes with other species, make sure that whatever home you provide for them is secure. Cages should have all doors/entrances secured so that critters can't open them, they should be secured so they can't be tipped over.

Good luck with your ventures, and please keep us posted. We love to see photos, too!

jonvill
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by jonvill » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:20 pm

Gold of Pleasure seeds are oily seeds. I am not sure society finches are really fond of oily seeds.

S3litoss
Pip
Pip

Post by S3litoss » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:38 am

What about bugs? how many of them it's fine to give them?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:11 am

Personally, unless you really want to get into the hassle/mess of dealing with live insects, Societies get along just fine without eating bugs.

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi fella,

Firstly society finches are easily bred without any added extras and hassle,

They will happily breed with a std seed diet which consists of millet and egg food, you can supply some soak seed and a little green food but isn't essential,
They certainly don't need live food :mrgreen:

Gold of pleasure seeds are oil seeds and very rich in protein,

They are grown in England and Europe and are mainly used for various British finches, I've used the seeds for over 30 years and have used em in my rearing mixes.

Society finches and to be onest most foreign finches don't need to eat seeds like the gold of pleasure,

The carrot seeds I've heard about but have never used em as I've always used the important usual seeds :D