Experience Ordering Food Online

Learn what to feed your birds.
LadyGouldianGirl
Pip
Pip

Experience Ordering Food Online

Post by LadyGouldianGirl » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:29 am

Hi all. I wanted some feedback on ordering bird food online. I've come across a site (mybirdstore.com) that sells the same brands of bird food that I buy at my local bird store but for 1/2 the price (including the cost for shipping). I was wondering what experience the forum members have with obtaining bird food from online stores. Is it of the same quality? Or can I expect to receive old/expired seed? I don't understand how they are selling the same brands for so much less money.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Experience Ordering Food Online

Post by Sally » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:53 am

Online stores are able to sell cheaper because they don't have the overhead that a mortar and brick store has (store rent, insurance, utilities, etc). I'm not familiar with this particular site, but perhaps someone else on the forum will be able to help you. I have often ordered supplies/feed online in the past and never had a problem.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

LadyGouldianGirl
Pip
Pip

Post by LadyGouldianGirl » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:49 pm

Sally

Thanks Sally. I never thought about the overhead costs but it makes perfect sense now. Good point.

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:20 pm

LadyGouldianGirl

I just started ordering my bird seed online because I could get it in bulk, and the place I use doesn't charge for shipping. I haven't had any problems yet!
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

jimenezl
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by jimenezl » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:25 pm

please share...:-)
Two RC Cordon Bleu,

Airlyn
Mature
Mature

Post by Airlyn » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:28 am

I know some think Herman Brothers is expensive, but I buy their EM finch seed. With shipping it comes to about $2.00 a pound. I am no expert in seed but it always smells so fresh and looks clean. There are several sites that sell their own mixes. I don't have any experience With them except for free samples.
Maybe order a smaller amount to see if you (well the birds) like it or ask for a sample???

LadyGouldianGirl
Pip
Pip

Post by LadyGouldianGirl » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:56 am

Thanks for the replies. I feel much more confident giving it a try. I'll place an order and see how it works out. :D

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:57 pm

jimenezl

I order from http://jones-seed.com/, and it looks like you have to spend over $50 to get free shipping. They recently changed their website, so I think this was a change as well. I usually spend at least that much though since I'm ordering bulk for several kinds of birds.
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

LadyGouldianGirl
Pip
Pip

Post by LadyGouldianGirl » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:51 am

I received my order from mybirdstore.com. I was quite surprised to discover that the food was re-packaged. The store had removed the seed from the manufacturer packaging and repackaged in thin plastic bags. The bags were labeled with the name of the food but no expiration date (or opened date for that matter). So I really have no idea how old the seed is. When I buy this particular brand packaged from the manufacturer, there is an expiration date and must be stored in the refrigerator after opening since there are added vitamins and probiotics. I suppose re-packaging is common practice when selling in bulk, but I only ordered 1 pound of each type. I'm not very happy that they won't take it back either [-X Money wasted and lesson learned. I'd rather pay the increased price to buy from my local bird store.

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:00 pm

I do online ordering for cost savings.
My local store only sells 5 pound tubs. And I go through that a bit too fast. But they won't or can't order the 25 pound box. So I had to go online for the 25 pound box.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary