Soaked Seed

Learn what to feed your birds.
neojinnx
Pip
Pip

Soaked Seed

Post by neojinnx » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:12 am

What type of seed do you soak for your birds? Do you just use standard seed mix or do you specifically purchase products labeled as 'soak seed' or 'sprout seed'?

Also, do you prefer to use apple cider vinegar to inhibit bacteria or chemical disinfectants like Vikon-S specifically formulated to do this?

Cheers!
-Nikki

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Soaked Seed

Post by Sally » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:32 pm

I have purchased products labeled as sprouting mixes in the past, but I must order those online. I have also simply sprouted the mix I feed to my birds, it does not have any pellets in it.

I personally like Virkon-S, it is what I have been using for ages, but that is just my preference. I've never had any sprouts go off using the Mike Fidler method of sprouting. I have a friend who simply rinses a LOT with plain water, uses the sprouts right away, without problem.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:58 pm

neojinnx hi Nikki,

You can actually buy specially made up soak seed mixes but I found that although the mixes are good I've personally always used the seed that you normally feed to yer birds on a daily basis, in reality it makes sence to to this as yer birds are obviously gonna be used to it :mrgreen:

The vikon-s is ok but me being old school still like to use the apple cider vinegar :-BD

kyle
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by kyle » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:34 am

For the last few years I have been rinsing my seeds 2 or 3 times a day in plain water and have never had any problems. I use the regular finch seed diet for sprouting.
Gouldians
Societies
Gold breasts
Owls
1 African grey
1 red min pin

- Kyle -

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:57 am

kyle sounds good mate, that's all I use and have never found any issues :-BD

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:09 am

Kyle and Stuart, that is the way I have been soaking my regular canary mix also. I have been doing this for about 5 months and I have not had any problems yet . :D
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.