Should I stop buying this seed?

Learn what to feed your birds.
ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Should I stop buying this seed?

Post by ann » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:53 am

I tried to sprout some seed from a bag I just bought. I rinsed it twice a day, but after the third day it smelled awful and only a few seeds had started to sprout. I tried it again with the same results. Other than the sprouting problems, it looks like normal seed. I'm thinking this seed must be really old, and maybe I shouldn't give it to them any more? I would really like your opinions on this.
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Should I stop buying this seed?

Post by Sally » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:32 am

It does sound like the seed may be old. I don't know that it would hurt them (not the sprouted of course, that needed to be tossed), but I would wonder if it has lost its nutritional value.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:37 pm

All seed has a slight smell to it, this would be normal but If the seed smells of a typical horrible rancid smell, the sought of smell where you'd wanna turn away I'd then most definitely bin it as this will be no good nothing :mrgreen:

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:38 pm

I believe she was referring to a bad smell with the sprouted seed. Sprouted seed should always smell fresh, somewhat nutty. If it smells even the least bit off, it should be tossed.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:42 am

Sally yea that's what I meant " sprouted seed " as mentioned in her post :mrgreen:

You wouldn't get a rancid smell from dry seed

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:31 pm

I was told that seed that no longer has a fresh, nutty smell should be tossed because old seed has lost its fatty acids and essential oils.
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Antone France

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:10 pm

dunker817 wrote: I was told that seed that no longer has a fresh, nutty smell should be tossed because old seed has lost its fatty acids and essential oils.
Mmm....yea I've also heard that mentioned before but to be onest I'd just go with yer gut instinct, if it doesn't smell right I'd then disguard it,

Old seed also starts to go dusty and generally doesn't look fresh, again I'd then disguard it :D

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:06 pm

ann---I buy higgens vita seed for all my birds I also freeze it and only take out what I need for maybe a week every time I open the bag from the Freezer it smells so fresh,I buy it a bird supply in NH but they also sell at amazon,I also buy Abba soak seed that sprouts very good and last for quite a few days in fridge never had a problem since I use this brand with smelling bad,also buy in nh, may-be they sell it near you not sure about amazon for the sprouting seed.hope this helps
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:23 pm

Seed never has a chance to get old around here but if I do inherit some old seed from another collector or something, I usually just feed it to the wild birds outside the aviary. Same with yesterdays veggies and any seed, hulls or egg food that fall on the floor around the feeders. It all gets swept or vac'd up for the wild ducks, morning doves, robins etc.

The following might only be relevant to those with a large walk-in type aviaries...
I use heavy duty 30 gallon air (and rodent) tight trash cans to store different types of seed outside my aviary in 40 lb bags. Inside there are three triple feeders... each triple holds three types of seed totaling 12 lbs when full.
4. Feeder with catch tray.jpg
Those main feeders each sit on a good size aluminum catch tray. A few more decorative type feeders hang in manzanita branches around the place and hold about 5 lbs ea, The recyclable "catch seed" is a mix of everything so it's run through a seed cleaner and then mixed in a long tray with a fresh floor-bird blend containing larger type seed for doves and button quail.
2. Seed Cleaner.jpg
Seed waste can be quite a problem when you have a large bird collection so I'm always working on ways to keep it to a minimum. Reloading feeders, replacing fresh veggies and egg food takes me about an hour every other day. I feed every day when the selective breeding cages are active in Spring. Major cleaning happens every 2 weeks and takes about 4 hours to change paper on the horizontal surfaces, do a little scraping and hose the place down. Water devices are automatic except for a 20" diameter community bird bath that gets refreshed every day. With this many birds, a hobby like this can take a lot of maintenance time but I seem to have it down to a point where I can enjoy my birds, still work and handle other family fun and responsibilities.

Paul
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Madcat » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:46 pm

***mouth...wide...open***
30+ Gouldians
1 Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Madcat » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:48 pm

Please tell me you have a YouTube channel Paul... :shock:
30+ Gouldians
1 Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:36 am

No You Tube. I don't know how to set that up yet.
You have quite a collection yourself, Madcat. Any pics of your set up to share?
Always looking for new ideas.

Paul
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:19 am

Paul that is one serious set up I never heard of a seed cleaner,I also put all my seed,when cleaning dishes out,to my bird friends outside,your seed bill must be up there $$$$$,
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:33 am

There nothing new to be onest, there's many of us who have got here in England,

There called winnower machines, the seed is poured in through the top and is mechanically seived into two different tubs placed at the bottom of the machine,

Cleaned seed goes in one tub and all of the waist / husks etc go into the other tub,

Definitely saves on the seed bill,

I've currently got 2 in me shed, one for the mix seed and the other for straight seeds :mrgreen:

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:20 pm

Hi Barbara,

Re: Seed bill...When you have a lot of birds you have "economy of scale" going on.
My birds cost me about $1.30 per bird per month for food, veggies, eggs, meds maint etc... which is a whole lot less than the dog! :D
Maintenance (actual work) time for me is about 20 hours a month. If I had to pay someone to do that, it could cost another $1.50 per bird - but when you enjoy your hobby it's not really about the money or the work is it?
As with most others who care for birds, what I get in return is priceless.

Paul