Anyone use Herman Brother Seeds?

Learn what to feed your birds.
DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Anyone use Herman Brother Seeds?

Post by DamonIRB » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:10 pm

I've been buying the Herman Brothers EM Finch Mix for nearly 5 years. I have some new waxbills and they seem to enjoy it, but they are tossing out a LOT of seeds. I called Herman Brothers and they were very open to creating a custom blend for me, but I have to tell them which seeds I want in it. I have no idea how to identify which seeds they are tossing though, and the EM mix has a lot of different things in it.

Have you purchased from Herman Brothers? Which mix do you get?

D

http://www.hermanbros-seed.com/

EM Finch Mix list:

JAPANESE MILLET
CANARY
SIBERIAN MILLET
FINCH MILLET
WHITE MILLET
STEEL CUT OATS
RED MILLET
THISTLE
FLAX
RAPE
ANISE
SESAME

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Anyone use Herman Brother Seeds?

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:22 pm

DamonIRB wrote: I've been buying the Herman Brothers EM Finch Mix for nearly 5 years. I have some new waxbills and they seem to enjoy it, but they are tossing out a LOT of seeds. I called Herman Brothers and they were very open to creating a custom blend for me, but I have to tell them which seeds I want in it. I have no idea how to identify which seeds they are tossing though, and the EM mix has a lot of different things in it.

Have you purchased from Herman Brothers? Which mix do you get?

D

http://www.hermanbros-seed.com/

EM Finch Mix list:

JAPANESE MILLET
CANARY
SIBERIAN MILLET
FINCH MILLET
WHITE MILLET
STEEL CUT OATS
RED MILLET
THISTLE
FLAX
RAPE
ANISE
SESAME
Hi mate,

From what I can see that particular mix seems ok for waxbills,

The only seeds that waxbills may not really eat would be the rape, flax ( linseed ) and the steel cut oats :mrgreen:

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:25 pm

Stuart whiting wrote: Hi mate,

From what I can see that particular mix seems ok for waxbills,

The only seeds that waxbills may not really eat would be the rape, flax ( linseed ) and the steel cut oats
It's the one they recommended when I first started buying from them. Maybe I just have one picky eater that's tossing things the others would eat...

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:34 pm

I have ordered from them... he will work with you to make up a seed your birds will like

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:40 pm

cindy wrote: I have ordered from them... he will work with you to make up a seed your birds will like
I know... I don't know what to ask for though. I have no idea which seeds they are eating and which they are tossing. ??

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:03 pm

DamonIRB

I just got my first batch of that same mix. My finches are loving it and the babies are stuffed. It smells heavy like licorice though :YMSICK:

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Babs wrote: DamonIRB

I just got my first batch of that same mix. My finches are loving it and the babies are stuffed. It smells heavy like licorice though :YMSICK:
It does smell like licorice. Pretty sure that is the anise in it. My waxbills eat it very well. Maybe I just need to be happy they are eating well and shut up about the things they're tossing out. :wink:

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:28 pm

DamonIRB wrote:
Babs wrote: DamonIRB

It does smell like licorice. Pretty sure that is the anise in it. My waxbills eat it very well. Maybe I just need to be happy they are eating well and shut up about the things they're tossing out. :wink:
=))......all jokes to one side mate as you say if there eating ok I wouldn't worry to much as you'll always get certain birds of all varieties toss seed about

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:29 pm

That is the seed mix I used to use, and my birds loved it. I just don't use it any longer because shipping got to be so expensive and I now have access to a seed co-op where we get seed at a discount. If I didn't have the co-op though, I'd probably go back to Herman Bros. again. I never worry too much about what seed they toss, as whatever they don't eat goes to the wild birds outside anyway.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:32 pm

Sally

Yeah the shipping costs as much as the seed, but 10lbs of their seed (which is what I use in a month) actually costs less, even with shipping, than 10 lbs of retail store seed. I am very glad I took y'alls advice and went with Herman Bros. I think the total was about 22 dollars.

I wish we had a coop here :(

But Im real happy with them.
:) The 10lbs of seed only took 3 days to arrive. woo hooo!

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:08 pm

Sally wrote: I never worry too much about what seed they toss, as whatever they don't eat goes to the wild birds outside anyway.
So you collect it and put it in the wild bird feeders? Hmm. That's a good idea... Thanks!

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:31 pm

DamonIRB wrote:
Sally wrote: I never worry too much about what seed they toss, as whatever they don't eat goes to the wild birds outside anyway.
So you collect it and put it in the wild bird feeders? Hmm. That's a good idea... Thanks!
I use the gravity-fed seed hoppers, and often there is little waste and few hulls/seed on the floor. But sometimes a few birds start tossing seed out of the hopper, or filling the hull drawer with good seed, and that goes to the wild birds.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

dunker817
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by dunker817 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:10 pm

I feed Herman Brothers seed to my finches and canaries and to one of my cockatiels. The finches and Canaries get the EM Special Finch mix. They love it. They don't eat all of the seeds but most of them. Enough to make it cost effective to ship. They get fresh seed every other day and what they don't eat goes to the wild birds. They love it too. I use the Cockatiel #2 mix for my Sammy. He loves it and eats all of it. My other tiels were not eating as much and my grasskeets are on Higgins.

I usually buy 3, 5lb bags of each mix and with shipping it runs about $45 dollars which is still far cheaper per pound than the Higgins bought at the pet store.
Layne

One male Spanish Timbrado canary, two Grasskeets, four Cockatiels, and two Cairn Terriers.
Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Antone France