Not eating pellets

Learn what to feed your birds.
newfinchmom
Nestling
Nestling

Not eating pellets

Post by newfinchmom » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:18 pm

I bought the good pellet food for my birds, but they would rather starve than eat it. AARGH. Not sure what to do now. There is a pile of pellets on the bottom of the cage and the seeds are being eaten. I have tried just giving pellets and they just won't eat.

TammyS
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by TammyS » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:49 pm

It takes time to switch finches from a seed to a pellet diet - and from what I have read, not always successful. I don't feed my finches a pellet diet, but others have comment on how to do so. Those who are most successful do it gradually and slowly reduce the amount of seed offered and increase the amount of pellets. One of the tips was to remove all seeds for a short period of time each day and only offer pellets (such as first thing in the morning for 1-2 hours).

Keep trying and have patience :wink:

dearbhail
Pip
Pip

pellets

Post by dearbhail » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:48 pm

i did the exact method for my birds that tammieb described. it worked great. i can now offer my birds pellets in the am and if they have eaten those, i offer seed in the pm. my birds switch back and forth w/o a problem. i did the switching only after my birds had been eating pellets exclusively for a few weeks. i do it to offer variety for the birds.