Lafeber Premium Daily Diet

Learn what to feed your birds.
ac12
Molting
Molting

Re: Lafeber Premium Daily Diet

Post by ac12 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:23 am

I use the Lafeber finch food for my gouldians, which is smaller than the smallest Roudybush (nibbles). My logic is the birds will grind the nibbles, as if it were seeds, and leave the powdered Roudybush behind. The smaller Lafeber is closer to powder so, in theory, they won't leave so much powder behind. And in fact they do grind the small Lafeber and leave powder behind, but they also eat the powder. So I don't have the wasteage of the powder.

I feed my societies Roudybush nibbles, and they will not eat the powder from the nibbles, just the full size nibbles.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary

Nicole R.
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Nicole R. » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:27 pm

cindy wrote: I can name at least 10 products on the market claimed to be good for birds that should not be used yet they are pushed on a regular basis.
Hi Cindy,

Do you mind sharing what products you feel should be avoided? I am a newbie looking to learn from others' experience. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my baby beeps! And I'm trying not to buy everything ever marketed for a finch in anticipation of them getting here.

Thank you,
Nicole
2 red billed firefinches
2 red cheeked cordon bleus
2 owl finches
2 seagreen parrot finches
All yet to be delivered
Non-breeding (all male) mixed community

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:12 pm

Nicole R.

Hi Nicole,

Our Cindy, hasn't been on for the last couple of months, but I'm sure you can find many of her birdie recipes if you check some of her threads and posts on the Forum.

Personally I feed Finch seed and Canary seed, along with some Budgie seed, all which I mix together and offer to all of my birds.

They also get hard boiled eggs, a variety of fresh greens and vegetables, and some fruits.

Live foods for the species that enjoy it. Crushed freeze dried meal worms, mixed into their egg for the ones that don't.

Spray millet, bird herbs, my own mixture of bird grit, and some birdie vitamins in their water two or three times a week pretty well rounds it off.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:49 am

lovezebs wrote: Nicole R.

Hi Nicole,

Our Cindy, hasn't been on for the last couple of months, but I'm sure you can find many of her birdie recipes if you check some of her threads and posts on the Forum.

Personally I feed Finch seed and Canary seed, along with some Budgie seed, all which I mix together and offer to all of my birds.

They also get hard boiled eggs, a variety of fresh greens and vegetables, and some fruits.

Live foods for the species that enjoy it. Crushed freeze dried meal worms, mixed into their egg for the ones that don't.

Spray millet, bird herbs, my own mixture of bird grit, and some birdie vitamins in their water two or three times a week pretty well rounds it off.
That's a pretty well-rounded diet right there. Many members order seed online, simply because they are in an area that doesn't offer many options. I happen to like Hagen brand, though it is more available in Canada than in the U.S.

Some use pellets. I prefer a seed-based diet, since this is what the birds eat in the wild. They are programmed to hull seed, and offering a finch seed mix lets them fill that need, while also giving them the option of searching through the mix for their favorites. Birds in the wild forage fr food, so the more we can offer them the chance to forage a bit, the better IMO.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org