Canary wont eat fresh food since moult

Learn what to feed your birds.
Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Canary wont eat fresh food since moult

Post by Vera » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:08 pm

Does anyone know why my canary stopped eating fresh food since his moult. He used to love carrots and greens but he just ignores them now. He still eats his seed mix but wont touch the other stuff. Otherwise he is singing and active and seems healthy. Its strange to me. Any advice?
PS I really really appreciate this forum it has helped so much. Thank you

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: Canary wont eat fresh food since moult

Post by cindy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:17 pm

try some broccoli shaved or whole pieces for him... what other greens was he eating? I would not so much worry about the veggies if he turns his nose up at them... seed and pellets or seed and a good vitamin mineral supplement are the the base... veggies are extra... will he eat dried or fresh egg food? Dried herbs?

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Vera » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:07 pm

cindy wrote: try some broccoli shaved or whole pieces for him... what other greens was he eating? I would not so much worry about the veggies if he turns his nose up at them... seed and pellets or seed and a good vitamin mineral supplement are the the base... veggies are extra... will he eat dried or fresh egg food? Dried herbs?
cindy wrote: try some broccoli shaved or whole pieces for him... what other greens was he eating? I would not so much worry about the veggies if he turns his nose up at them... seed and pellets or seed and a good vitamin mineral supplement are the the base... veggies are extra... will he eat dried or fresh egg food? Dried herbs?
He was eating kale, spinach, romaine lettuce, and then carrots which he loved. He never really cared for egg food. I havent tried dried herbs but I can. The seed mixture he gets is a good quality and has dried fruit, chia seed and oyster shell in it though. He does get mineral and vitamin supplement too

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:49 pm

Vera, my canaries are hit or miss with the fresh fruits and vegetables. Some days I can give them spinach, kale, apple slices, etc. and there won't be a scrap left and other days, they won't touch it. I switch up their treats every day and that seems to help. Today, they got spinach, blackberries, strawberries and dried egg food. They didn't touch the berries but tore up the egg food and spinach. Fresh broccoli is always a big hit. Cindy, what kind of dried herbs do you use? I have tons of home grown oregano, lemon thyme, mint, and rosemary.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:13 am

All of the above is great but don't forget a wedge of fresh corn on the cob if you still have it in your area. It's a favorite for most all my birds.

Are you sure the molt is over?
Maybe you need more birds...Mine bicker and argue over fresh veggies and egg food every time I bring it out which is every other day. They have a variety of seed and fresh bath water every day.
But if yours is singing he must be feeling OK...
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Vera » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:36 am

Paul's Amazing Birds wrote: All of the above is great but don't forget a wedge of fresh corn on the cob if you still have it in your area. It's a favorite for most all my birds.

Are you sure the molt is over?
Maybe you need more birds...Mine bicker and argue over fresh veggies and egg food every time I bring it out which is every other day. They have a variety of seed and fresh bath water every day.
But if yours is singing he must be feeling OK...
He is still shedding a few feathers but he is singing like crazy which is why I thought the moult was over. I have a pair of Gouldians I got a month ago which I am going to put in with him but was wAiting until I was sure he was done. We still gave corn here I will try that. He just seems so content to just gave his seed.

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:50 pm

Vera

My male canary ate very little of the fresh vegetables I offered during his molt. Preferred seed and dried egg food and sprouted seed. I still offered a small amount of fresh vegetable and fruit every other day and added vitamins to his water. He is getting to the end of his molt now and starting to sing a little and eating his fresh vegetables and fruit. I thought his molt would last forever but it has been just about 8 weeks. :roll:
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

Vera
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Vera » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:18 pm

lem2bert wrote: Vera

My male canary ate very little of the fresh vegetables I offered during his molt. Preferred seed and dried egg food and sprouted seed. I still offered a small amount of fresh vegetable and fruit every other day and added vitamins to his water. He is getting to the end of his molt now and starting to sing a little and eating his fresh vegetables and fruit. I thought his molt would last forever but it has been just about 8 weeks. :roll:
Thanks. This is first moult with him and I too wAs surprise how long it lasted!

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:57 am

Canaries usually will eat anything. My guess is that he is eating what he needs right now. If you're offering variety, let him decide and enjoy the song.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries