Sprouted Seed source?

Learn what to feed your birds.
a_gouldian
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Sprouted Seed source?

Post by a_gouldian » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:57 pm

Looking for a less expensive source for a good sprouted seed mix. Is anyone buying the different seed types in bulk and then mixing it? The sprouted seed mixes we have found are $3 a pound and the shipping is expensive (more than the cost of the seed).
Gouldians, Red-faced Stars, Owl Finches, Blue-capped Cordon Bleus

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Re: Sprouted Seed source?

Post by Barbara » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:37 pm

a_gouldian I buy the Abba soak seed from bird supply in NH the ,I think the 2lb bag is around $5 the 5 lb is $10. Not sure what the shipping is but they have a site you can buy right on line also.
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked
Family of six ,Family of seven+three Society

a_gouldian
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by a_gouldian » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:25 pm

Barbara wrote: a_gouldian I buy the Abba soak seed from bird supply in NH the ,I think the 2lb bag is around $5 the 5 lb is $10. Not sure what the shipping is but they have a site you can buy right on line also.
I looked at that. Do your birds eat all the seed types in that mix? Mung beans, etc? Does it actually sprout or just become soft? We have been using a sprouted seed mix that sprouts and the birds love it but it gets expensive with shipping. The Abba seed is a lot less money and we could pick it up and save on shipping. The Abba seed says you can only leave it in the cage for a few hours. We don't have to worry about that with the sprouted mix we are using. What they don't eat dries up and we discard it the same day but we give them just enough so we don't have to throw much out.

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:12 pm

a_gouldian I actually don't understand why some say to discard after so many hrs I use to do reg.seed and it would just get soft birds still loved it, The Abba seed does sprout I have had good luck with it stays in the fridge not covered for quite a few days you rinse off before serving,I have mixed finches in my flight cages and most of it does get eaten never see any beans left mostly the tiny seed is left not sure what that is.I never take it out till the end of the day to me it's seed it does just dry out and it doesn't smell,especially this time of year.I have gouldian babies so mom and dad eat this 2X a day 3X if home.If you get it check out the Utube site explains it better then directions on bag.Let me know what you think if you try it
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked

lem2bert
1 Egg Laid
1 Egg Laid

Post by lem2bert » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:40 pm

a_gouldian

I use the abba soak seed also. My birds love it. I also leave it in the cage until the end of the day as it just dries out and there is not usually much left.
Betty 1 toy poodle and canary.

a_gouldian
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by a_gouldian » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:01 pm

We will have to give the Abba seed a try. Thanks for the comments. Good luck on your Gouldians Barbara. Our Gouldians are sitting on 5 eggs now after a breeding/separation break of two months. They tossed chicks before but hopefully it will go better this time around.

Barbara
CocoFiber Craftsman
CocoFiber Craftsman

Post by Barbara » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:58 pm

a_gouldian thank-you for the good luck on gouldians,I really didn't want to breed,they are a young pair and I really didn't think she cared for him, but she started dropping eggs so I put a nest box in,they are real good parents I feel very lucky considering all the horror stories I have read.I think there are three and they are loud they should be coming out any day now they are starting to peek out very cute.Now if they take care of them once they fledge I'm home free =D> hope you have luck with yours
One canary
Two english budgies
Two Bourkes
Pair of red cheeked bleu
Pair of goldbreast
Pair of orange cheeked