why my Gouldian finches do not touch sprouting seeds?

Learn what to feed your birds.
gouldian_finch
Hatchling
Hatchling

why my Gouldian finches do not touch sprouting seeds?

Post by gouldian_finch » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:10 pm

It is my first time to make sprouting seed, I soak them for a day, then rinse them regularly, 2 days later, I can see some seeds start to sprout.. I put the in the cage, but all my gouldian ignored it, they just eat the normal dry seeds.

even after I took the dry seeds away, they still ignore the sprouting one, the seeds smell normal, nothing wrong with them.

am I doing anything wrong here? or how can fix it? many thanks

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: why my Gouldian finches do not touch sprouting seeds?

Post by debbie276 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:15 pm

Gouldians can take quit a while to try new things. I would keep trying, you can freeze your sprouts so they don't go off. Then you could give a little at a time till they get the hang of it.

good luck
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:53 am

If you have them with birds that DO eat sprouts, it might speed up their interest. I have a couple of Gouldians in with Canaries, in an aviary.

The Canaries will eat anything. At first the Gouldians ate only seed but gradually I saw them start to eat everything offered. And, they look better for it.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:45 pm

Dave wrote: If you have them with birds that DO eat sprouts, it might speed up their interest. I have a couple of Gouldians in with Canaries, in an aviary.

The Canaries will eat anything. At first the Gouldians ate only seed but gradually I saw them start to eat everything offered. And, they look better for it.
Was just about to post the same thing! :lol: Canaries will eat anything. I put treats on a styrofoam tray once. I won't do that again. They ate half of the tray!!! I agree though. If you have your gouldians in with birds that will teach them that it is food, it helps. Otherwise, it just takes time. You can try mixing the sprouted seed with a little dry seed.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:18 pm

Shannylee

Hi Sharon,

Had the same problem, chuckle.
The styrofoam was consumed with great gusto.
For days afterwards I was terrified that they would all drop dead from some sort of a blockage, but they were all fine as can be. I didn't see any syrofoam in their poops either, so somehow they managed to digest it (I don't know how...)
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~