can gouldian finch eat sunflower seeds?

Learn what to feed your birds.
gouldian_finch
Hatchling
Hatchling

can gouldian finch eat sunflower seeds?

Post by gouldian_finch » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:40 pm

I bought some wild bird feeds, it contains a lot black sunflower seeds, I guess it is too big for gouldian finches or society finches? how about canary?

if none of them can eat sun flower seeds, can I feed them only the heart? without shell?

many thanks

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Re: can gouldian finch eat sunflower seeds?

Post by Shannylee » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:36 pm

gouldian_finch, wild bird seed is not really suitable for pet birds. Since they are in a cage and cannot forage for other nutritious food sources, they should really have a food that is designed for caged birds. They may eat it but they will be healthier if you get a better quality seed. :)

To answer your question...gouldians, societies, and canaries don't (to my knowledge) eat sunflower seeds...hulled or otherwise. My doves swallow them whole but the finches and canaries don't touch them at all.
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

ManoaMatt
Pip
Pip

Post by ManoaMatt » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:20 am

Finches might eat shelled sunflower seeds, although its hit or miss whether they will accept it. Sunflower seeds are a good source of vitamin E, although this isn't terrible lacking in a seed-based diet (canary seeds are a decent source too along with oil seeds). If you decide to feed sunflower seeds, definitely stick to pet (or human) grade seeds and offer in moderation. The seed can fatten up birds quickly!

Hope this helps.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:44 am

Finches can't usually crack sunflower, but some will eat it shelled.

The basic seed mix for all my pet birds is a good quality wild finch seed mix with millets, canary seed, thistle and shelled sunflower. It's hard to tell, however, whether my finches eat any of the sunflower or if only my hookbills take it.
~Dylan

~~~

gouldian_finch
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by gouldian_finch » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:25 am

Thanks for the answers, I will not feed them sunflower seed in that case

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:19 pm

My flock of canaries, two Gouldian finches, green singing finches and other finches I've had in the past all eat (or ate) sunflower chips. They are basically shelled sunflower seeds that are in pieces. You can buy them from wild bird food stores or just take unsalted sunflower seeds and grind them up just a bit.

From the Finch Information Center (the link is upper left on this page):

'notice how nearly every dietary requirement is covered by simply providing the birds with a boiled egg, crushed shell. and all mixed with finely-ground sunflower seeds.'

Also--mentioned elsewhere in the above article--seed mix, greens, and a mineral mix. And, I would add, exercise!

I've used that regime for quite a few years with good results. I don't feed vitamins.

Dave
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:22 am

gouldian_finch wrote: Thanks for the answers, I will not feed them sunflower seed in that case
What? Why not? My guys are perfectly happy with the sunflower chips I also feed my wild birds. I feed them nyjer and sunflower chips out of my wild bird supplies and they are fine with that.

There is absolutely NO difference between good quality wild bird seed and so-called "caged" bird seed for any given type of seed. Its the same millet, the same sunflower seeds, the same nyjer, only way less expensive.

Wild bird MIXES contain a lot of junk but I feed my wild birds only nyjer and black oil sunflower chips, because I am ONLY feeding wild finches (and the odd song sparrow).

My caged finches are just as happy as their free-flying brethren with that feed. It is, of course, not their STAPLE seed, but "extra" treats.

As long as you are keeping your wild bird seed cool and dry (so it doesn't mold) and you are turning it over frequently (not keeping it for years) its fine. The idea that there is something magical about "caged bird" feed is not founded on any kind of factual basis.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.