Get ur green on

Learn what to feed your birds.
Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Get ur green on

Post by Madcat » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:37 pm

In my experience some birdies are just picky. I used to but up greens and broccoli a lot but must was wasted. Some birds really enjoyed the broccoli though, so I still do that sometimes. But For the past year I've been adding spirulina powder and wheat grass powder to the seed. This way everybody gets their greens! No whining allowed [-X I sprinkle enough so all the seed is covered and Mom, Dad and babies get their greens.
Attachments
IMG_2477.JPG
IMG_2480.JPG
30+ Gouldians
1 Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Get ur green on

Post by Babs _Owner » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:22 pm

Madcat

I remember Storm's beak all green from your wheat grass. I think this is an excellent idea, and now you're reminding me I really need to go buy some. And I think Storm will appreciate a "taste of home" being put into his flight ;)

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Madcat » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:03 pm

Babs I'm sure he and the rest of your babies will enjoy it!! I noticed a difference in molting and feather replacement don't know if that's because spirulina has high protein content?? Anyway, last purchase I found some of the tablets are cheaper than powder. So I just put them in the coffee grinder. Works great as you can see...grinds nice and powdery. :D
30+ Gouldians
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:34 am

Madcat

I am all for it!! I think this also proves that when we add powder anything to our finches seed, they do indeed digest it and even regurgitate it to their offspring. Nice validation of this!

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:29 pm

Madcat wrote: In my experience some birdies are just picky. I used to but up greens and broccoli a lot but must was wasted. Some birds really enjoyed the broccoli though, so I still do that sometimes. But For the past year I've been adding spirulina powder and wheat grass powder to the seed. This way everybody gets their greens! No whining allowed [-X I sprinkle enough so all the seed is covered and Mom, Dad and babies get their greens.

Those babies look underfed. LOL! :lol: They look like they are about to pop!!!

I use Green Vibrance (mostly wheat grass powder) mixed in my egg bread. Good idea to mix it with the seed!
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Madcat » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:45 pm

Shannylee definitely "skin n bones" :lol:
30+ Gouldians
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:41 pm

Madcat

I wanted to bump this thread up a bit.

For people who wonder "If I put powder (wheat grass, cuttle bone shavings, etc) in the seed mix do the finches ingest it as they hull those coated seeds?

Clearly these photos above show that not only do the finches ingest it, they feed it to their young. ;)

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:58 pm

Babs Shannylee

It depends on your birds. Mine WILL NOT eat the spirulina I bought at all. My finches, that is. The parakeets love it.

The stuff is expensive. Even if they will eat it when mixed with seed, a lot of it goes to waste when you have to discard the hulls. I do as Shannylee does, I put it in my corn-free seedcake/egg bread, along with lots of other veggies.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.