Eggs And Greens Anyone....

Learn what to feed your birds.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Eggs And Greens Anyone....

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:50 pm

Hello Finchly Folk,

Is it just me, or does anyone else get funny looks at the grocery store for buying enough eggs and greens to feed an army?

I've noticed it three times now, as I unload my cart, piling up several egg cartons , and multiple bags and containers of greens on the convayor belt thingie at the till.

I've actually had one lady comment: " Your family must really like eggs", as she eyed the pyramid of cartons and then : "My goodness, but you really eat healthy," as her eyes fell on the mound of containers and bags of greens and veggies.

I just smiled, thinking ~ You nosey old bat ~ but I guess it could appear a tad odd to those uninitiated into the world of pet finches , lol.

I imagine, that if I was to tell her...oh, it's for my birds.... she would be :shock: and think I was making up stories. After all, everyone knows that birds eat seeds, right???? =)) =)) =))
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Madcat
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Re: Eggs And Greens Anyone....

Post by Madcat » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:16 pm

lovezebs i could say sooooo much about this post but I won't. Let's just say been there done that!!!! :lol: :wink: :))
30+ Gouldians
1 Red Cheeked Cordon Bleu
1 White Society
1 Fawn Owl

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:58 pm

Madcat

Come on woman, do tell, they do say that confession is good for the soul :wink: and now you have my curiosity all going...... and well, I just gotta know! ~X(
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:12 pm

lovezebs, this was my experience at the grocery store today but the conversation was with the woman in line in front of me who felt the need to comment on my purchases. Me..."the Milkbones are for the dog, the veggies are for the birds, the milk is for the husband, and the wine is for me!" :lol:
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:40 pm

Shannylee

=)) :)) =))

That's cute.
I forgot that you can buy wine in the grocery store in the States.
~Elana~

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:49 pm

lovezebs, so...my dog eats BARF (bones and raw food) along with her dog food. I get the same :shock: when I put a package of beef heart on the belt thingy. We don't eat much beef heart in the south! :lol:
~Sharon

Orange Cheeked Waxbills, Gold-breasted Waxbills, Societies, Gouldians, Bronze Winged Mannikins, Spices, Canaries, Javas, Pin Tailed Whydahs, too many Koi to count, a husband, and a rescue puppy!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:07 pm

Shannylee

It's like when I go to BonTon meat market for bones for the pups.

I ask for beef knuckle bones, and they bring out one, asking if I want it cut into soup size pieces.

I smile and ask for more knuckle bones, five or six of them.

That's when you find out if you're talking t a dog person or not.
The dog person, immediately smiles and nods in understanding.
The non dog person, looks at me funny and asks, how MANY?
~Elana~

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:22 am

Tip: Talk to the veggie guys. They have a LOT of veggie scraps that the cut off the veggies before they put the veggie out on the shelf. We get some of those scraps 'FOR FREE,' since the scraps are going into the dumpster anyway. And over many weeks, the cost of the veggies adds up. So FREE is good.

At my store, I need to get there EARLY in the day, as they come in before the store opens to do their work, and they are done with the veggies by mid morning. So we have to get the veggie scraps before they are dumped into the dumpster.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:41 am

Oh yes, when I add 4 dozen eggs to my basket, I do get the looks, since I am too old to have a large family at home!
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Shannylee
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Shannylee » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:59 pm

Sally, LOL! I confess...I used to work as a cashier in a grocery store and I totally gave people the 8) :shock: with some of their purchases. The best ever...plastic drop cloth, wine, candles, pancake syrup. I still laugh about that 30 years later!
~Sharon

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:36 am

Shannylee

They forgot the whipped cream =)) =)) =))
~Elana~

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:28 am

Shannylee

*spits out coffee*

OMG!! I bet you had a hard time trying to keep a straight face!
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:26 am

lovezebs

Me: :)] Honey on your way home from work can you pick up eggs?

Bill: :!! Can it wait until tomorrow night, it's really busy at work?

Me: :)] No baby, you know Brat wont feed unless she has eggs!!

Bill: :-W Okay fine, I'll make a special trip to get some eggs. Let me just shut everything down here at work. Anything else we need while I'm there? I'm only going ONCE. I have work to finish.

Me: :)] Hmmm, grapes for the parrot. And eggs thats it.

Bill: You are SURE that is all?

Me: :)] Yes honey I am SURE! Thank you soooo much !!

Bill: Okay Im leaving now.

Evening passes it's 2am

Me in the bathroom : :shock: I forgot toilet paper :shock:

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:30 am

Babs

Oh honey, I just laughed and laughed over here in my igloo like kitchen, where I can't even see out the frozen windows.
~Elana~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:34 am

Shannylee

Hahaha :)) Alll I could think was "that poor woman's hair! "