NEKTON

Learn what to feed your birds.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

NEKTON

Post by lovezebs » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:01 pm

Hello Finchly Folk,

I have come across and purchased a product by a German company called NEKTON. They have quite a few products for birds, and the one I picked up, is called NEKTON BIO.

It is a Pet Food Supplement for Birds, which is supposed to activate the metabolism and promote feather growth.

It contains 18 amino acids

Statement of ingredients: Dextrose, calcium carbonate
Guaranteed analysis per 1,000g: Moisture <5%
Vit A 600,000 I.U.
Vit D3 10,000 I.U.
DL- alpha-tocopherol acetate 20,160 mg
Thiamine 670 mg
Riboflavin1,680 mg
d-pantothenic acid 3,3000 mg
Niacinamide 10,000 mg
Vit B6 670 mg
Folic acid 185 mg
Vit B12 2,000
Ascorbic acid 16,670 mg
Menadione 1,360 mg
Biotin 200,000

I was wondering if anyone on the Forum, has tried any of their products, and if so what is your opinion of them?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: NEKTON

Post by Sally » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:09 am

I haven't used them, but they have a good reputation in Europe, I believe.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:38 pm

Sally

Thanks Sally.
So far the bird kids appear to be doing fine on it (even my three unhappy girls in the hospital cage).

If I see a vast improvement in feather and overall condition, I will definietly order more of their products even though they are quite expensive.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:55 pm

I certainly don't mean to be the voice of negativity... just sharing my thoughts.

I have never cared for supplements derived from synthetic sources. Sure, we all need Vitamin B6, but when it is from pyridoxine hydrochloride rather than natural food items, does our body really know how to use? Or can it use it? Am I taking a vitamin only to have my innards think, "what the hack am I supposed to do with that??" I'd much rather munch on some wheat grass or put some bee pollen in my oatmeal to get the B6. That's based on our physiology though... is it the same with birds? I have no idea...

As our pediatrician used to say, "feed the kids good food and you won't need the Flintstones!". :) And yes, I know none of us, including our pets, will EVER get everything we need from our diet. I'm just kind of a natural/organic kinda guy.

D

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:42 pm

DamonIRB

I do agree on many levels with what you write.

However... there is always that 'however....' :wink:

However, with many of our birds coming from different corners of the world, the food that we supply them with probably does not contain all the nutrients that they would be eating normally in the wild.

Yes, I supply my birds with eggs, mealworms, flightless fruitflies, egg shells, high quality seeds mixes, spray millet, every green, veg, fruit, herb and weed that I can think of. Wild grass seeds, charcoal, bird clay, cuttle bone, mineral grit, iodine block, oyster shell, #-o running out of breath here..... and still I can't even begin to hope that I'm supplying them with all the things they would be getting in the wild, which they instinctively seek out and consume.

That's why I do add some supplements to their diet, especially when they're moulting, breeding, raising chicks, feeling under the weather, or under some other forms of stress.

There, end of speech..... now I can breathe again, ah.....
~Elana~