Learn what to feed your birds.
Chihuahua
Nestling
Nestling

Help me plan my finch diet

Post by Chihuahua » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:57 am

I'm trying to plan out what I need to keep my little guys healthy

- Seed (finch/parakeet mixed)
- Pellets (LaFeber's) I know these are a bit controversial but my parrots did excellent on them as a staple
- Cuttlebone (?)
- Egg food occasionally
- Greens
- Occasional mealworms
- Millet sprays

Do I need grit? I have heard conflicting information. And what is the best source of calcium really? I can't do egg shells because I do not eat eggs every day!

Is there anything else I need that I'm missing or anything I put in that I don't really need?

edit: Okay according to finchinfo I do not need grit so I will cross that off my list :)
Toby

2 pied societies (one crested)
2 adult beetles
4 beetle larvae
1 papillon
1 chihuahua mix

My mom also has two budgies and a dachshund puppy

w.l.
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Help me plan my finch diet

Post by w.l. » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:32 am

I'd say give both cuttlefish bone and grit (all my finches love it), but do also give them liquid calcium in their water on a regular basis - I give it 5 days/month.
Societies may not go for the mealworms, but if you try, give mini ones.
Eggfood could be offered permanently if it is the dry, factory-made one.
Your menu seems comprehensive enough to me - perhaps could try offering fruit as well.
And give vitamin supplements on a regular basis, like the liquid calcium.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:44 pm

When they say finches don't need grit, they are referring to what is usually sold as bird gravel. When I talk about grit, I mean minerals, such as oyster shell grit, which is a soluble grit and a great source of calciium. Just make sure that it is not gravel.

Societies love vegetables, and you can experiment with what they will eat--greens, peas, corn, cucumber, carrots, etc.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Chihuahua
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Chihuahua » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:02 pm

Ahh I see, thanks for all the info!
Toby

2 pied societies (one crested)
2 adult beetles
4 beetle larvae
1 papillon
1 chihuahua mix

My mom also has two budgies and a dachshund puppy

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:10 am

I give my guys cuttlebone and ABBA Mineral Mix. They also have a mineral block - but you have to break off the corners and rough it up a bit as these are too hard for most finch beaks. They don't use it nearly as often as their other calcium sources, but they do use it from time to time.

Since introducing the ABBA Mineral Mix (GlamGouldians has it online) they pretty much ignore the cuttlebone but I leave it in there anyway just in case they ever get a hankering for it, or in case I were to somehow forget to keep their Mineral Mix full.

I just leave the cuttlebone in there anyway as long as the cuttlebone is clean - ie they don't poop on it, I have a piece zip-tied to the bars of the cage with no perches above it so it stays clean.

More calcium sources is better than fewer, I feel.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.