Boiled vs Scrambled egg?

Learn what to feed your birds.
Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Boiled vs Scrambled egg?

Post by Sojourner » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:29 pm

Just wondering - is there some reason NOT to just beat up your eggs and pan-fry 'em instead of having to boil them and then mash them before offering to the birds?

Not adding any milk of course. In a non-stick pan it would require little or no oil. Then they're pre-mashed and all mixed up.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Boiled vs Scrambled egg?

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:46 pm

Sojourner

I think some people scramble the eggs and cook them in the microwave.
Frying in a frying pan, usually entails some form of grease, and that's where the problem comes in.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:54 pm

lovezebs

Yet people put oil in eggbread and other mixes - more oil than would be needed to fry a scramble (in a nonstick pan, anyway) ... Obviously you wouldn't use bacon grease for this, LOL!

They do eat lard in winter. Maybe a pat of manteca to fry the eggs?
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:01 am

Sojourner

Who eats lard in Winter??? :shock:
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:09 am

lovezebs

BIRDS! LOL! Wild finches and nearly all songbirds as far as I know, plus others. Woodpeckers. Jays. ad infinitum.

You know. When birds eat it they call it "suet".
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:13 am

I feed suet year round and all birds love it.
I wouldn't think the oil would be a problem. The texture and ability to freeze and store leftovers may be an issue though.
Try it and let us know how it goes.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:03 am

I've fed fried eggs when I was in a hurry and didn't have time to boil them. I can't imagine that the birds know the difference. I'm not sure about using Hollandaise sauce, though (LOL)

Also, we all feed our birds some oil seeds (rape seed which is Canola, sunflower, nyger, flax etc. So a little bit of oil for frying an egg isn't a new food.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:16 am

Sojourner debbie276

Do you feed suet to indoor birds?
~Elana~

debbie276
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by debbie276 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:25 am

lovezebs wrote: Sojourner debbie276

Do you feed suet to indoor birds?
Outside birds are the ones that need suet. A couple times I offed the birds in the outside aviary suet when it got extremely cold but not as a daily diet.
Debbie
long time breeder of lady gouldians:
Green
SF Pastel (SF Yellow)
Pastel (Yellow)
Blue
SF Pastel Blue (SF Yellow Blue)
Pastel Blue (Yellow Blue)

GREAT articles on avian lighting:
https://mickaboo.org/confluence/downloa ... ummary.pdf
http://www.naturallighting.com/cart/sto ... sc_page=56

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:14 pm

Friends who have parrots often share their scrambled egg breakfast with a companion bird. If it is OK for parrots, I think it would be OK for finches.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:36 pm

lovezebs

No, I don't feed suet to indoor birds. I'm just saying that a bit of oil - not scads of it, not a great big block like we give outdoor birds in winter - is not something birds wouldn't normally eat.

As Dave noted, we feed oily seeds. A tiny bit of oil to get an egg scramble cooked doesn't strike me as abnormal.

Microwaving MIGHT be better but I had a pretty awful result trying to do that in the long ago time when microwaves were new. Spattered egg all over. Have never tried it again.

My thought is that I can whip up some breakfast eggs for myself and "share" just a little bit with my two guys. If they won't eat it, its not much wasted (and so far they continue to reject any food that is wet).

But doing this with boiled eggs for just my two guys would be a waste even if they WOULD eat it. Personally I won't eat boiled eggs either. I'm entirely sympathetic to their take on boiled eggs, LOL!
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Moon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:50 pm

I do a scramble most of the time, no oils. I use boiled eggs rarely because I use a different type of feed thst has most nutrients from eggs already.
New Mexico

1 female lovebird : Harley Quinn
1 male lovebird : Nightwing
3 Bantams : Ollie, Nibel, and Obi
2 Starlings : Inee and Messy
1 House Sparrow : Bat-Chat
1 Blind Pigeon : Blinky

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Sojourner

Hah haha hahhhh...
So it's you that have a thing about the boiled eggs, not the birds at all.

You probably offer the HD egg, making funny faces at them , and telling them how yucky they are eh?
~Elana~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:45 pm

lovezebs

:-J O:-) :D O:-)

I'M INNOCENT!! INNOCENT, I tell ya!

No honest! I think their salad is yucky too, but I don't tell THEM that!

Really, they just seem to hate anything too wet. I have yet to find a single fruit that they will do more than peck at a few times.

I actually don't hold out much hope that they'll eat the eggs scrambled either, but at least I won't be wasting much in the ongoing attempt.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:49 pm

Sojourner

So are you telling me, that whatever they don't eat of the scrambled eggs, you will finish??? :YMSICK: :YMSICK: :YMSICK:
~Elana~