Kale: An Interesting Little Article

Learn what to feed your birds.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Kale: An Interesting Little Article

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi All,

I was reading an article about Kale, and if it's good for dogs...

As I got more into this article, I came across this, and thought it was note worthy, and something to think about, when we feed kale to our birdlings.

***The facts have always been there, if we saw them or not: Thallium is a renowned and vicious toxin, and kale appears to be an efficient accumulator of thallium. So this current interest in thallium is basically the intersection of two recent trends; our ability to detect smaller and smaller amounts of an element or molecule (rapidly improving lab sophistication) and devout foodies more able to follow extreme diets of their choice. I don’t see that pets are at increased risk from dietary thallium if they are fed prudent diets. All mammals have effective systems for neutralizing the occasional toxin. Unless fed a predominately vegetable diet, that itself was predominantly kale, for several months, I would not worry about thallium.” – Richard Patton PhD***

I guess it's just something to be aware of, and although Kale is a good thing, like everything else, it shouldn't be overdone.

Everything in moderation, and variety, is the best thing.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

justread
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Kale: An Interesting Little Article

Post by justread » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:30 pm

That's interesting indeed, because the pet store where I purchased my 2 society finches use primarily kale, every day, for the leafy addition to their diets. I often feed my birds that mix that is available which has various types of leafies in one container.

When I first got them I gave them SO much variety that they had diarrhea and with the usual frantic catching and transporting along with "motherly" angst, learned at the vet that I should go back to kale only and slowly add other options.

Which I did, along with a couple of other changes--more millet--more play things--and there has been no problem since.

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Zebrafincher
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by Zebrafincher » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:35 pm

I've taken on eating more greens esp. vegetables with my diet, but my little guys (Zebbies and Star finch) LOVE greens! Not sure if its Kale or other stuff (mixed greens) but they decimate it pretty thoroughly...

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:56 am

Sojourner

No, not dangerous, unless (from what I gather) it's fed continuously for over long periods of time.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:08 am

justread

I usually feed kale, once or twice a week, mixed in with other veggies and fruits.

My guys are so used to their greens, veggies and fruits, that it doesn't cause any tummy problems.

Of course, they also have their usual seed mixes and spray millet, along with eggs as well as mealworms (either freeze dried or fresh, depending on their needs).
~Elana~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:10 am

Zebrafincher

I wish I could get into a habit of eating more greens and veggies.
I just never think of it, as I toss something down my throat, while chopping bird veggies, lol.
~Elana~

Zebrafincher
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by Zebrafincher » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:25 am

Hi LoveZebs,

I had to as part of a diet, and to lose weight. Mind you, I was advised my two Zebbies were fat as well! (I had been to the vet to check out whether my star finch had a nutrition absorption/weight issue ie he was too skinny). Turns out he's perfectly fine - my other two are fat!

I let them out all the time, but they need *encouragement* to fly at times, because they do like to sit there and poo all over the cages, furniture and anything else in the room!

Birds!

Zebrafincher

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:37 am

lovezebs wrote: Sojourner

No, not dangerous, unless (from what I gather) it's fed continuously for over long periods of time.
No. NOT DANGEROUS. At all. You are not going to get thallium poisoning no matter how much kale you eat. You'd explode first.

Really. Not dangerous. I promise. It's a myth. Feel free to eat kale as often as you like, and to feed it to your birds every single day of their lives, if they like it enough.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Post by Sheather » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 am

I gave my bird kale once and he blew up!

~Dylan

~~~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:38 pm

Sheather

You terrible young man, blowing up birds with veggies [-X
~Elana~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:40 pm

Sheather

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
~X( ~X( ~X( ~X(
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

YOU ARE SOOOO BAD!!!!!!
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Denise
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Denise » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:00 pm

OK, that was a true LOL! My little ones love their Kale. They are not so crazy about other fruits and vedgies. I offer it daily. None of them live one kale alone. The thing I like about it is that it keeps so well. It will stay nice and fresh in the fridg. for a long time. Hint- if you wash it up and set it on a dish towel THEN put that in a plastic bag, the towel will keep excess moisture away from the leaf. Stays fresh a long time. This trick works well for lettuce also. My thought is that anything that tastes like kale couldn't possibly be bad for you! Could it? :)

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:41 pm

Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

Nerine
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Nerine » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:29 pm

lovezebs wrote: Zebrafincher

I wish I could get into a habit of eating more greens and veggies.
I just never think of it, as I toss something down my throat, while chopping bird veggies, lol.
@lovezebs

Just be sure to take out the mealworms first lol!
2 green singers
2 javas
2 zebra finches
2 bourkes
1 lovebird