Feeding bugs question

Learn what to feed your birds.
Nicole R.
Hatchling
Hatchling

Feeding bugs question

Post by Nicole R. » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:28 am

Will feeding freeze dried insects reduce or eliminate the risk of infecting my caged birds with parasitic worms, like threadworms/tapeworms/roundworms?

I know that birds kept in an outdoor aviary are at highest risk for the cycle of worm infestation. But I plan to deworm my new babies when they arrive because I am investing a lot into these dear pets, and can't afford endless trips to an avian vet for fecal microscopy.

I don't want to feed live bugs because I have a new baby and it is just too much to deal with right now. I'm not squeamish, but am much more interested in keeping and enjoying our new birds and baby rather than culturing larvae.

Also, I don't want to go through the trouble of deworming them in quarantine if I'm merely going to reinfect them with the diet I provide. I could buy live bugs, but you just don't know where they come from. If I buy them and they're contaminated with bacteria or worms, then the birds aren't any better off for it.

So really this is a microbiology question. Does the freeze drying process destroy the eggs of parasitic worms?

Thank you,
Nicole
2 red billed firefinches
2 red cheeked cordon bleus
2 owl finches
2 seagreen parrot finches
All yet to be delivered
Non-breeding (all male) mixed community

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Feeding bugs question

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Nicole R.

Hi Nicole,

Sorry, but I can't recall what species of birds you have.

With many species, just offering a hard boiled egg mixture will be sufficient for their protein needs.

If however you have insectivours, you will have to supply live foods.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:11 am

I can't say for sure, but I would think the freeze-drying process would kill off everything. What I've read is that if you feed live food, you should worm occasionally, but I've never read that you should worm if feeding freeze-dried.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

DamonIRB
Mature
Mature

Post by DamonIRB » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Ehh... it's really difficult to say without knowing their freeze-drying methods. Freeze-drying is technically just the removal of moisture, which can happen at fairly high, but freezing, temps. You could freeze-dry something at 25 degrees, for example. That isn't nearly cold enough to kill bacteria though; it would suspend it, but not kill it. USDA standards for freeze-drying meat (for human consumption) require temps of 4 degrees F for a minimum of 15 hours and even that isn't a bullet proof method for killing all bacteria. It is entirely possible this company is doing that, but it certainly isn't required for non-human food. You might try to find them online to see if their website explains their freeze-drying process.

There is a danger of bacteria in everything you feed your birds (and cats, and dogs, and even yourself). Bacteria is everywhere. My vet has recommended a treatment with a mild solution of ivermectin every 6 months, just to be safe. It's neither expensive nor difficult, so I have always done it. I use Ivomec Plus, which comes in a 3cc bottle. One treatment is 1cc. At $8 a bottle, it's not worth skipping it.

Just my opinion...

D

Nicole R.
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Nicole R. » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:24 am

Thank you! That is helpful to know more about the freeze drying process and standards.

My only concern for bacteria is with botulism if I were to buy and feed maggots. Much more concerned about parasitic worms. Since it seems to be unavoidable, I'll plan on deworming regularly.

Nicole
2 red billed firefinches
2 red cheeked cordon bleus
2 owl finches
2 seagreen parrot finches
All yet to be delivered
Non-breeding (all male) mixed community

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:03 pm

Nicole R.

I feed live mealworms, and flightless fruitflies, without any issues.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~