Nutrition for canary hens sitting on eggs

Learn what to feed your birds.
Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Nutrition for canary hens sitting on eggs

Post by Dave » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Many times I've read that a sitting Canary hen shouldn't get egg food, as it 'creates too much heat' and can mess up incubation. I'm not sure what that means, but I listen to older breeders even if their explanations seems weird. A system that has worked for decades probably has some merit.

Now I have a Canary on eggs, in an aviary with other birds. I didn't isolate this hen, which I sometimes do, so she has the same access to boiled egg like the other birds in the aviary.

I paid attention to her when she's off the nest. She flies around and eats seed and sunflower chips and greens and mineral mix, but she passed up the egg food. That is unheard of in my flock! Maybe she read the book.

The question is: can we rely on our birds to manage their own nutrition? If our job is just of offer a lot of types of food, will the birds take just what they need?
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Nutrition for canary hens sitting on eggs

Post by lovezebs » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:57 pm

Dave

Honestly, I've never heard of that and I guess my Canaries never read the book either.

When my girl was sitting on eggs, she stuffed herself with eggs, veggies, fruit, seeds, spray millet.... everything she could wrap her beak around.

So I really don't know what to tell you, sorry.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Nutrition for canary hens sitting on eggs

Post by Sheather » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:25 pm

I fed daily egg and fresh food with my breeding hen last year, she ate it up and she had 100% fertility for several clutches, no issues.
~Dylan

~~~