Egg Questions

Learn what to feed your birds.
Moon
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Egg Questions

Post by Moon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:20 am

Is there a particular method for eggs? Kind of egg? What's the best? I have access to organic chicken eggs, duck eggs, and small game eggs from local quail and pigeon breeders when they need to thin the population out.

I know some people give their birds crushed egg shells too....

I've been a bit slow on the uptake and the information seems a bit scattered, though I can probably go digging for it if I knew where to start.
New Mexico

1 female lovebird : Harley Quinn
1 male lovebird : Nightwing
3 Bantams : Ollie, Nibel, and Obi
2 Starlings : Inee and Messy
1 House Sparrow : Bat-Chat
1 Blind Pigeon : Blinky

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Egg Questions

Post by Sheather » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:01 pm

Any cooked egg is a good source of protein. You can boil or scramble without added butter, either on the stove or in a dish in the microwave. Eggshell is great for calcium and finches love it - I always offer a dish of it, especially for females.
~Dylan

~~~

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:04 pm

When I use eggs for baking or whatever, I rinse the shells and put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes to sterilize them, then crush them up with the back of a spoon.

My guys won't eat boiled egg or other "wet" foods so I feed dry CeDe. I should probably try some mashed up boiled egg again to see if they've changed their minds yet.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:49 pm

You can mix hard boiled eggs with a dry eggfood, i also cook the eggshells in the oven until they get slightly brown, then i smash them.

I use 1 egg, 3 spoons of eggfood and a half shallow spoon of crushed eggshells, all goes to the mixer and voila! My birds love it.

But it is importante to change every day, and clean all the dishes very well, keeping it away from humidity and heat, otherwise it would rotten and get the birds sick.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:11 pm

~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~