Meal worms - how much to feed/offer?

Learn what to feed your birds.
JillM
Nestling
Nestling

Meal worms - how much to feed/offer?

Post by JillM » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:31 pm

I introduced freeze dried mealworms this week - the societies LOVE them and gobble them up! My question is how much to offer/feed? They get finch seed mix along with egg food and fresh kale and either a bit of apple, cucumber and I try to add peas or corn (no interest in the peas or corn) daily as well...is there "too much" in terms of offering the mealworms? I have 4 societies and if I put about 10-15 mealworms in, they are gone in seconds and I have been offfering a few more in the afternoon...
Jill M
4 Society Finches

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Meal worms - how much to feed/offer?

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:00 pm

JillM

Hi Jill,

Are your birds in a large flight where they can get lots of exercise?
Are they thin or chubby?

If they are chubby, I wouldn't offer too many.
I think 2 or 3 every second day should be enough, especially if they also eat eggs.

Have you tried live meal worms ?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

JillM
Nestling
Nestling

Post by JillM » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:31 pm

They are not chubby...yet! LOL but guess I better slow down the meal worms! They do get egg food daily-ish...some days they eat it, some days not...i added the meal worms since mom/pop are sitting on eggs and figured they may need the extra once hatched, and the other two are still young and growing...
Jill M
4 Society Finches

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:51 pm

JillM

Oh, that's a different stry all together.

Breeding, brooding, rearing parents, should have the best of the best, as should growing youngsters, along with moulting birds.

Offer the mealworms, and def offer them home made egg food as well. (As much as they want.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

JillM
Nestling
Nestling

Post by JillM » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:46 pm

lovezebs wrote: JillM

Oh, that's a different stry all together.

Breeding, brooding, rearing parents, should have the best of the best, as should growing youngsters, along with moulting birds.

Offer the mealworms, and def offer them home made egg food as well. (As much as they want.
Phew! Well I will keep feeding then! LOL I think the youngsters are possibly molting a bit? Everyone seems happy, healthy and active and not chubby!
I am just anxiously awaiting the hatching to begin - its been just over 2 weeks since last egg laid - about the 2 1/2 so guessing they better hatch in the next couple days? Momma is not letting me peek at all so thinking the action may be beginning?
Jill M
4 Society Finches

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:20 pm

JillM

It's an eggciting time for sure, lol.

Don't get too curious and anxious if the due date rolls in and rolls out again. It's hard to pin point exactly when they started sitting tight, so don't give up on them too quickly.

Good luck :D
~Elana~

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:23 am

I'm a believer in letting birds figure out what they need to eat. I've offered meal worms to Waxbills and at first they ate a lot. After a week or two they ate less, but still ate them.

I see my Canaries change their eating habits as they lay eggs, hatch youngsters etc. They go for protein, for instance, before laying. While sitting they eat less protein. With newly hatched chicks they eat more protein and for some reason, more mineral mix. Etc.

It would be a different story if birds are in a smallish cage. That is one reason that I think an aviary makes nutrition easier. It is really, I think, that the exercise makes nutrition easier.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries