how long will eggs last

Learn what to feed your birds.
Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

how long will eggs last

Post by Tish » Mon May 01, 2017 10:27 am

If I boiled eggs today being Monday and mash them up with the egg shells and put in the fridge will they still be alright to feed up to and including Thursday?
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: how long will eggs last

Post by lovezebs » Mon May 01, 2017 10:32 am

Tish

I wouldn't let it sit that long.
Personally I would say no more than a couple of days in the fridge.

My kids get their nose out of joint if I offer eggs from the day before. I can just imagine if I offered them eggs that were 4 days old, lol. I'd have an uprising, and get both eggs and poop flung at me. :-O
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Tish
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer

Post by Tish » Mon May 01, 2017 2:19 pm

I hate making eggs, looks like I'll be making more often then I hoped. I was making them every second day, but hoped for a longer length in days that I needed to make them.
1 Cat ( Logan), 2 Rosy Bourkes (Pip & Kiki), 2 Guinea Pigs (Biscuit & Gizmo), 1 Syrian Hamster (Sammy), 1 Russian Dwarf Hamster (Peanut), 4 Gerbils ( Shiloh & Emma) & (Lilly & Rose)

MisterGribs
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by MisterGribs » Mon May 01, 2017 3:28 pm

I would still eat a 4 day old boiled egg, but wouldn't trust it to feed my birds. If boiling the egg is too much trouble, you can also beat in a tbsp or two of water and pop them in the microwave to scramble them. You can get really tiny egg bits after by just stirring with a fork.

This does leave you to cook the shell separately though, so hmmm.
2 black cheek zebras and 5 CFW zebras, one A&M pied coturnix hen, my darling cream/lavender coturnix roo, and his attitude.

slwatson
Proud Parent
Proud Parent

Post by slwatson » Mon May 01, 2017 4:07 pm

Tish

This works better for some people than others, but I make larger batches and freeze them so I don't have to make egg food as often. It has really helped a ton, and I add enough dry egg food and even crushed spray millet to help the egg mixture when it thaws so it's not so mushy. Some people have birds that don't like it, but mine have never had a problem. It just saves a lot of time. I'll grab a small container from the freezer, stick it in the fridge overnight to thaw, and then toss it out after three days.
Stacie
Look up Tweets & Beaks on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Tweets-Beaks-1 ... 0/?fref=ts

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Mon May 01, 2017 9:03 pm

Tish

This is why I just feed the dry egg food, dry. My guys won't eat the mashed real eggs - too wet for them apparently. And I've put no effort into encouraging it for the exact problem you mention - boiled egg doesn't keep that long anyway. I only have the 4 birds - it might be different if I had 20, LOL!

I used CeDe, my guys prefer the canary blend. There are other brands, that's just the one I use. A box lasts a loooong time with just the 4 birds.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.

ac12
Molting
Molting

Post by ac12 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:41 pm

I think my limit is 4 days after cooking.
You can smell when it is going off, or it will start to get sticky. Then I dump it immediately and make a new batch.

I semi dry the eggs before chopping.
In the evening, I cook and shell 2-1/2 eggs (wife gets the white of the 3rd egg), then cut in quarters, then leave it in the fridge to dry out some. (I think Liz in Ontario taught me this trick)
In the morning I chop the eggs with + 1 teaspoon of corn meal (to absorb moisture). I use a mini-food processor to do the chopping.
Then I put it into a plastic container lined with paper towel (to absorb moisture).

The fridge dried egg is not as wet and mushy when I chop it, so I think it lasts longer. And I do not need to put as much corn meal to absorb moisture.
Gary

gouldians (GB,YB,BB), blackbelly firefinches (trying to breed), societies (foster parents).
red factor canary