half ripe canary seed heads

Learn what to feed your birds.
isobea
Incubating
Incubating

half ripe canary seed heads

Post by isobea » Sat May 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi everyone,
Early this year I threw some canary seed onto our hill and in one of my flowerbeds. A lot of it sprouted, grew tall and the seed heads developed beautifully. Therein lies the problem: now, all of a sudden, I have too many at the perfect stage for feeding half-ripe seed. Does anybody know if I can cut them off and freeze them in a plastic bag for later in the year (like dandelion seed heads)?
Iso

In previous years I never had that many develop because of the drought conditions here in southern California.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: half ripe canary seed heads

Post by lovezebs » Sun May 21, 2017 12:26 am

isobea

Hi Iso,

I believe so.
I was just reading some article somewhere, let's see if I can find it...

This isn't the article I was looking for, but another useful one:
https://www.aussiefinchforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=9042
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sun May 21, 2017 12:49 am

lovezebs - Hi Elana, thank you so much. I already collected about 30 of them late this afternoon and will freeze them right now.
Where do you always find the answers to anything people need to know? =D> =D> =D>
Have a great Sunday,
Iso

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun May 21, 2017 1:17 am

isobea

Hi Iso,
Glad I could help.

To answer your question...

I love reading, and having come to the internet at a later stage in my life, I find it a fascinating place. I read and read and read until my eyes are too tired to read anymore, lol. I try to remember where I've come across certain bits of information that might come in handy in the future. It's a good way to exercise the old brain, and to learn new things.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~