lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Herbs for Canaries

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:03 am

Stuart whiting

No hard feelings :)
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:24 am

sparrowsong98

A little sprinkle wouldn't hurt, also try a bit of the fresh stuff too. For 2 birdies, one sprig freshly washed and minced should be good.

The whole idea, (in my opinion) is to try a little bit of different things and discover what they like, and not overdo any one item.

I feed a lot of birds, so I make a big chop including different things and divide it up between the flights and cages.

For your 2 kids....
A small minced leaf of spinach with a sprinkle of grated carrot mixed in one day.
A spoon full of minced kale with a slice of orange another day.
A spoon of shaved broccoli and a slice of cucumber another day....

Do you see what I mean?

Do you have any chickweed, rip out a handfull, wash it well, give it a quick chop and offer it to them....

Do you have any grass seed heads growing, gather a handfull, wash and serve, etc.

Soon you will see them trying different things.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:39 pm

There is a site on facebook geared to feeding raw veggies/fruit/seed/nuts. It is aimed more at parrots, but the basic idea also works for finches. For just a few birds, Elana has given some good suggestions for small amounts to feed. For those with larger collections, a chop works well. A chop can be whatever you want to put in it, also adding sprouted or soaked seeds/nuts and chopped hard-boiled egg. These chops are usually loved by birds and provide a very varied diet. In the wild, none of these birds eat only seeds, they eat what is available when it is available.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org