Wild Finch Seed

Learn what to feed your birds.
Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Wild Finch Seed

Post by Celeris » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:46 pm

I recently purchased a bag of seed for the wild finches around the house. (Since I can't own the Lesser and American gold finches, I have to at least draw them to my feeders to admire!) It's a mixture of shelled, crushed sunflower seed (black oil, I believe) and niger seed. Both high in protein, I believe. Is there any reason I couldn't give a little bit of this to my zebras and societies in the house?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Wild Finch Seed

Post by lovezebs » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Celeris

I tried the regular wild finch seed mixed with the regular finch mix that I use, but most of my guys found it a bit too big for their beaks.

With the crushed stuff, it might be different.
You could try a bit of the stuff in a seperate little cup and see what they do with it.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:41 pm

By all means try the crushed sunflower seeds but can't say wheather they'll take to it or not as I've never fed it, I've only ever fed sunflower to me British finches that I used to have,

However yer zebras should be ok with the niger seed as throughout England and Europe most foreign finch mixtures contain niger seed anyway :-BD

Celeris
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Celeris » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:57 pm

lovezebs Stuart whiting

Thanks! I'll give the boys a little cup and let them tell me what they think. (I got a resounding "no" on the freeze dried meal worms the other day. They didn't even pluck them out of the cup to throw them around, as is normally their way. Hopefully I have more success with this!)

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:12 pm

Celeris

Crush the fd mealworms and mix with their eggs, they'll eat them.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~