Ok to feed goldfinch babies with Vita Craft pro baby Canary?

Learn what to feed your birds.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Ok to feed goldfinch babies with Vita Craft pro baby Can

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:18 pm

luya

Sadly I could not see your picture, not sure why.

Regarding the Bird Rescue...
I think it would be a wonderful place for them.

These people seem to be dedicated to Birds, and will know exactly how to care for these babies, and what will be best for them in the future.

I know it will be sad to give them up, but I think it will be best for them. I wonder if you can visit them, and maybe volunteer in this place.

Let us know what you decide.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:19 pm

luya - I checked out their website and it seems like they are an amazing organization. You are so lucky to have something like that right in the city. Might be a fun place to visit, too.
Yes, if I were you, I would take them there. Talk to the staff, find out how they will progress with your babies, if they will eventually release them, if you can go back to visit them in the meantime.
If I were in your place I would have a hard time turning them over because I know goldfinches are fantastic little guys. I used to keep and breed them in Germany in the 1980s (I had built an indoor aviary for my goldfinches, siskins and canaries). Even back then the paperwork involved in keeping native songbirds in captivity was astounding. You had to belong to a special club, close-band all your babies with metal bands that were numbered, had your breeder's and club number and the year they were hatched, keep a log of who you sold them to or if any of them died. It was mind-boggling at times. Not sure you would want to get involved in all that. And I am assuming it has gotten even more complicated than it was back then.

Please let us know what you decide to do and how your visit with this organization goes.
Iso

luya
Pip
Pip

Post by luya » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:32 pm

Oops sorry. I attached the photo now.

Yes I was also thinking if I can volunteer there:) and learn some bird rescue too.

I will keep the post updated.
Attachments
IMG_20170709_185633.jpg

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:39 pm

luya

Now I see them, they are adorable! <3

Thanks for sharing the picture.

I can see that one is definitely bigger than the other, maybe a day or two older, but the little one is so cute. I can see where it will be difficult to part from them :(
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

luya
Pip
Pip

Post by luya » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:13 pm

Hello,
Inch & Binch say hello to all :)
My question, I have to feed them insects, don't I? I went to pet store today to buy larvae but they seemed a lot bigger then their beak. And they told me I can feed them red worms. I have worm compost at home, so I showed them a worm but they went crazy as if they saw a snake so I didn't give.
I also have a dog food that's made of insect protein.
Any suggestions? I will visit the aviary tomorrow, sadly they didn't answer my email.
Attachments
DSC_8574.JPG

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:33 pm

luya
They're so cute.
Ok so never feed them worm compost or other worms found in your yard. They contain quite a lot of parasites and diseases. Not safe for goldfinches. Like I told you at the beginning the formula is very complete so no need for more protein for now.
That being said, later on when they start eating eggfood which I suggest you still add 1/3 of formula in the mix, you could add some mealworms or supperworms. About 10-15 worms in a cup of eggfood. This is what I feed and I know it's safe. Not sure about dog food what the % of protein would be but too much protein is not good for their health.

luya
Pip
Pip

Post by luya » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:54 am

Sad moment came and I brought the birdies to the aviary. People were very thankful (and I am thankful to you all here!) and said these are very special birds. They also showed me the picture of these birds' adults. Same as the profile photo of andiok :)
They have a farm, far from the city which they will bring the birdies in there once they are strong. So a place that they will get used to the nature and in the end the birds can decide where to go. I hope they become wild again and if not, stay at the farm with people!
They are in a cage with two other goldfinch babies now. I can volunteer there and enjoy helping many other birds. The place was crazy. Lots of different, hungry, wild babies crying with their wide open beaks:)
I will miss my babies a lot. It was an amazing experience and it really requires a lot of patience. Thanks everyone..

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:10 pm

luya

Sigh....
Sad day, but happy day too.

You know they will be well looked after, and if you decide to volunteer, you will have lot's of babies to care for :D

Have you considered getting a couple of Pet Finches to keep you company?
~Elana~

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:50 pm

luya
You my friend are a special and beautiful person.
What you've done is so humane and so beautiful even though very painful.
Koodos to you and I strongly suggest you keep volunteering in that wonderful place. You'll be close to your little guys and you'll feel good about it.

Take care

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:59 pm

luya - Hi, I had been wondering if you had already taken them in. I'm sure it was a bitter-sweet day. You had taken care of them for quite a while now, learned so much in the process and got attached to these little guys. Compared to the first pictures you posted they look so much more grown up now.
If you are able to volunteer there, you will have a chance to watch them grow up, mature and become independent. Keep taking pictures of them.
You know, you really are lucky to have such a wonderful facility close by. Take care and feel free to update us periodically. We are all suckers for stories that have happy endings.
Iso

luya
Pip
Pip

Post by luya » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:15 pm

Thank you Andiok <3

@ Elana, I grow up with a lot of canaries, thanks to my dad. I was so in love with them. Perhaps they hated me a lot because I would kiss each of them (~25) every day (like Elmyra). Now despite how much I love them, I would only keep animals if they can't survive by themselves. I even had the idea of making a zoo for only disabled animals.

Anyway, this is the last video I made that I'd like to share. Made a swinging sand bath for them.. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpIkfiFtzGg

Isobea, I hope to write more good stories later. Thanks for supporting:)