Ok to feed goldfinch babies with Vita Craft pro baby Canary?

Learn what to feed your birds.
luya
Pip
Pip

Ok to feed goldfinch babies with Vita Craft pro baby Canary?

Post by luya » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:37 am

Hey, newbie here.
I found these birdies in the street, I think one is wounded but eats ok.
Some say they are goldfinch but I have no clue.

I went to a pet shop and they only got this food "Vita Craft pro baby Canary" for baby birds:
https://www.qualipet.ch/p-13265-vitakra ... rien-200g/

So I am feeding the chicks with a syringe now. Half water, half this mix and some juice from grape.
Is this ok or should I make my own? What would you suggest me?
And also, when would they fly? I want to release asap.
Thanks
Attachments
goldfinch babies
goldfinch babies

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Ok to feed goldfinch babies with Vita Craft pro baby Can

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:35 am

luya

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

I have no idea what they are, but if they were on the street, I would hazard a guess that they are the fledglings of some wild bird, that lives in your are.

Very often people will pick up fledglings, thinking they're abandoned when in reality they're not. The parents come back and feed them, but that's neither here nor there at this point.

I would give a call to your nearest wild bird sanctuary or wildlife rehab, and ask what you should do with them (especially if one is injured, it might need vet care).

In the meanwhile continue feeding the Canary baby food for lack of anything else.

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:31 pm

luya

Looks like goldfinch to me. Color is too light to be an oriole which is what I first thought. Got a picture of the beaks?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:17 pm

luya

I am told they are Goldfinches by our Babs.

Also found this little article with pictures that you might find helpful and a video.

https://goo.gl/images/8iGgDc

https://goo.gl/images/RRRPJ9

https://youtu.be/ewbjFDaMM6c
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:26 pm

luya

Oh sorry I'm working while trying to respond. If your formula is balanced, theres no need to add juice or sugars.

Ive never seen that formula. Is it formula? Make sure its warmed between 95-100 degrees.

You cant release them until they can eat and drink on their own. Which means you have to SEE them eating seed and drinking water and not begging for anymore feedings from you. Or they will fly away and starve to death

Hope this helps.

luya
Pip
Pip

Post by luya » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:43 pm

Beak picture
Attachments
IMG_20170705_213742.jpg

luya
Pip
Pip

Post by luya » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:01 pm

I took them today to the park to seek for the parents. But they don't call their parents. I only saw one goldfinch and it didn't see the baby. I put them on the ground but they camouflage so well. I will go there tomorrow again.
They aren't begging for food so much. I wish I knew how much to give per day.

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:07 pm

luya - are you in Europe? Were you told they are European goldfinches?
You will need to take care of them until they eat seeds and drink water on their own and can fly well. Once they are a little older you might want to mix some chopped up chickweed leaves and fresh half-ripe wild grass seeds into their baby formula (before they start eating dry seed mix).
Good luck,
Iso

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:13 pm

luya - even if you could find the parents, it is too late now. You could not just leave them on the ground and hope for the best. Any passing cat or dog would kill them. Goldfinch nests are usually pretty high up in trees or tall shrubs and the lower temperatures at night would most likely kill them. Normally they would still be in the nest with the parents keeping them warm and dry (in case it rains) at night. Please keep taking care of them, keeping them warm and safe. Feed them as much as you can - about every 2 to 3 hours should be fine at this age.
Iso

luya
Pip
Pip

Post by luya » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Yes I am in Europe, Switzerland to be exact. Thank you for the replies. I am working during the day. Can they stay without food for 9 hours? I came this noon to just feed them, but should I do it everyday?

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:00 pm

luya

Absolutely every day. They need to be feed about every 3 hours as Isobea mentioned. They cant go 9 hours without food and liquid

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:18 pm

Yes they are goldfinches! Don't take them to the park anymore as the parents have given up on them already. They need a small nest in a cage and they need feeding 6 times a day as minimum. Get a hand feeding syringe and give the formula you have. I would add nothing else for now. Formulas are a very complete food for babies.Basically you need to babysit them till they start eating soft food. I used to bring them at work when I had to hand feed them.
You will enjoy them a lot when they grow up

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:55 pm

luya - andiok gave you great advice. Through the years I've raised several house finches that had fallen out of their nests and once even took one camping with us so I could keep the feedings regular. I've never used the formula you have but I am from Germany and used to feed several Vitakraft seed mixes to my birds when I lived there. You should be perfectly fine with it. The only thing I can think of to add in a few days might be some finely cut up chickweed (Vogelmiere). Very nutritious and easy to digest for them.
Eventually they will start picking up some seeds (and kind of just play with them). Don't stop the formula at that point. They will need to actually eat some seed + formula for a while and then eventually switch over to seed only. Only after they have been eating and drinking independently for a few weeks would I consider releasing them. Even then still leave food out for them. They will have to learn how to identify and find food in the wild.
Good luck and please keep us updated on their progress.
Iso

luya
Pip
Pip

Post by luya » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:24 pm

I took them to work today and fed almost every hour. they are doing great I think. I also bought a very big cage so they can learn flying safely away from my dogs. But they got scared in the cage, too open. I guess that's why a nest is necessary. I will look for it tomorrow.Image

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:31 pm

luya
You're lucky!!!!
its not common for chicks of that age to actually accept hand feeding.
i can tell you for sure they are at least 2weeks old so hold on there another 2-3 weeks and you'll have one of the prettiest finch with wonderful colors.
Iso gave some good advice too. When they start fledging provide different kind of seeds, as they will eventually start feeding on them but most importantly provide quality soft food (eggfood) its the next substitute for handfeeding formula and they will love it. Provide fruit and vegetables 2-3days a week too.
If you can keep them at work, spoil them..... feed them as often as 1hr or even more as long as they ask for it :D
No matter where you put them, you need a nest for the little guys. they feel very secure and safe there. Keep the nest with paper towels for more hygiene and change as often as needed.

pls keep us posted.