Ok to feed goldfinch babies with Vita Craft pro baby Canary?

Learn what to feed your birds.
lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Ok to feed goldfinch babies with Vita Craft pro baby Can

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:54 pm

luya

Sounds like things are going well, which is really good news.

Are you thinking of releasing them later in life, or keeping them as pets?

If you're thinking of releasing them it will have to be very gradual and only after they're completely weaned, and personally I would give it very careful thought, especially if you live in a city.

If released, they will be extremely vulnerable to many dangers which birds in the wild learn about from their parents and through life experience growing up wild.

They will have no fear of humans, cats, dogs, birds of prey and so on (which are learned behaviours that they would be learning naturally from their parents). They would not be cautious of vehicles either, as in sitting in the middle of a street. They would have no knowledge of finding food, hunting for insects, and so on.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Ricardo Ronsini
Novice Nester
Novice Nester

Post by Ricardo Ronsini » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:07 pm

Yes, realeasing hand raised birds after weaning must be carefully planned and arranged, they need to learn what is edible, where to get water, how to seek for shelter when the weather gets rough...

These are things that they would learn throughout parent raising.

When caring for baby birds i either take them to a wildlife rehab center or keep them as pets, the ones that i tried to release back into the wild died short after.

Good luck.

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:29 pm

Agree with above comments.
It would be impossible to get those birds used to the wild again.
Don't even try. Their wild bird imprints are now different and would be impossible to survive.
Keep them and be proud for saving those beautiful birds. Check with your local bird/finch club if the goldfinches are in the CITIES list.
If so you need to report them to the local authorities or it would be against the law. In many European countries it's in the CITIES and not allowed to keep wild goldfinches

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:59 pm

andiok

How can they prove if they are wild?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:18 pm

lovezebs
Elana if the birds have no closed band it's illegal to keep. The only exception is when the hen throws them out of the nest because she doesn't like the rings. In that case you go to your legal office and declare the # of chicks you couldnt band. Officials usually come and check for this in your aviary. in order to breed wild species you need to be registered in one of the ornithological association. They will provide you with as many closed bands as you require. The bands have your account #, band # and Year. This is all done to fight illegal hunting of some European finches so they don't get close to extinction

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:25 pm

andiok

Holy Crow!!! :shock:

They sure like to make life complicated don't they?

Seeing as he found these abandoned chickies, how would it work?
~Elana~

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:46 pm

lovezebs
Well you know what Elana I'm actually fine with that kind of complication because the goldfinch and some other finches was getting hunted in mass and in a decade or so would have been extinct and that would be terrible. Plus a lot of people taking advantage and selling the wild ones for cage bred birds so....
Now I'm talking about Italy but I'm pretty sure it works like this in most of Europe.
Now in his case the Sooner you go and declare what happened and what your intentions are the better, because they will see the birds are chicks. Even in this case if they suspect something you could get charged for invading the wild life....

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:53 pm

andiok

I understand the reasoning behind these laws, but it seems that like with everything else, the authorities like to go overboard.

I imagine that the people who really wish to grab these birds and make a profit , still manage to get away with it. Yet the folks who simply try to save a couple of babies, get in trouble for being good samaritans.
~Elana~

andiok
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by andiok » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:22 pm

lovezebs
Oh yeah there is still people doing that hunt then and break the law just like they are also stealing and killing BUT all you can do is make the law and try to fight them so they get punished and don't repeat the same mistakes and honesty if some good people are going to get in trouble in the process, I personally am ok with that.
Don't forget that in countries like US and Canada you're not even allowed to captivate breed the wild species!!! Right?

And now to get you a little closer as to why I really think it that way I will show this video.
Warnin. Graphic video content
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vge588phUlU

luya
Pip
Pip

Post by luya » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:16 am

Thanks for all the encouragement.
I think it is too warm here (30C / 86 F) because one bird keeps the mouth open, but not for begging for food. Should I put them a little under water?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:33 am

luya

No.
Breathing with the besk open, is just like a puppy panting, it's just their way of cooling off.
~Elana~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:58 am

luya - I just bought a new pair of European goldfinches a few months ago. They are outside in my aviary and they also breathe with their beaks open when it gets too warm for them. Goldfinches can tolerate cooler temperatures better than heat (my waxbills on the other hand can tolerate heat much better than our cool/colder winter temperatures).
Can you keep your babies in the coolest room of your house? I just checked the forecast for Zurich (had to pick one random city) and it looks like the forecast for Monday is already back down to 24 C. So hang in there and try to keep them comfortable until then.
Isolde

luya
Pip
Pip

Post by luya » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:30 pm

Oh sorry, I just read a lot of new message that I haven't get notified.

I am so upset that I can't release them to nature. I was looking forward to see them flying to freedom and maybe keep the cage in the balcony so they could come whenever they want for water and food, shelter. I was hoping they could learn those nature rules from other finches at least.
But you are right, they are not showing any fear near my dogs.

I will contact the city to inform. I am sure the punishment is very big in a country like Switzerland.

I was closing the balcony door at night so they wouldn't get cold but I will leave it open now.

I came to share this picture, they are so damn cute sitting on my shoulder sometimes..

And today they did sand bath and I think enjoyed it.

I couldn't find anywhere vogelmiere (chickweed) but found this Vitakraft Salat mix (https://shop.vitakraft.de/vogel-salat-mix.html) that has chickweed in it. So I mix it together with the other baby food.

luya
Pip
Pip

Post by luya » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:39 pm

There is this aviary in Zurich. I
https://voliere.ch/web/

They also operate as a shelter for birds which have fallen from their nest.
It hurts to leave them this way but I am sure they would find that place more interesting then my apartment. What do you think?

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:30 pm

luya

I think its a splendid idea =D> They equipped to get the kids ready for release back in the wild.

Thats the most difficult job about rearing wild birds. IMO