Putting edible greenery in next

Learn what to feed your birds.
justread
Hatchling
Hatchling

Putting edible greenery in next

Post by justread » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:52 pm

My society finches keep putting the lettuce/kale/carrot tops into their wicker nest. It's already quite full of other things. I just wonder about mould/mold. Some days it ends up in in the bath, the food dish, or the nest, most often the latter. There's nothing consistent, and it's not always the same vegetable.

Just to clarify, though I was told their were a "pair" I actually have two males, which is fine. Happy to hear their twitterings. Twice as much than if I had a female/male. So, they wouldn't be building a nest for mating. I have no other birds.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Putting edible greenery in next

Post by lovezebs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:20 pm

justread

Societies, of any gender love to build nests.

It is not unusual for all these little guys to take half of the food dish into their nests.

What you can do, is whenever the nest becomes too full just empty it into the trash, give it a good cleaning and hang it up again. Offer them some nesting materials and watch them build a new nest all over again. This keeps them busy and happy.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

justread
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by justread » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:45 pm

HI,

Thank you, will do. Yes, they have piled everything into that nest and tamped it down incessantly. :) Hardly even room for them to "hide" :)

OK, I'll cut more wool (it's home spun...not by me...) that they seem to like, and paper bits. Amazing how quickly they find it! I've also left strips of cotton and that gets curled around and wedged in.

Well, I'll let you know how the vandalism goes... :D

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:14 am

justread

You can also offer hay and grasses, etc.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

justread
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by justread » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:59 am

Thanks, I'll look into the hay/grasses. Lots of what I call "quack grass" that needs to be weeded from my garden. I don't use chemicals.

They aren't looking very happy, though Pickle seems to be asleep way down there. Pratt seems on guard.

I'll know at dawn...and if they plan to build, they will then.