Bought vitamins , need suggestions

Learn what to feed your birds.
StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Bought vitamins , need suggestions

Post by StodOne » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:49 am

So this is the first time i am buying vitamins for birds but that is because lately I didn't buy any fruits to give them , I need suggestions because there is absolutely nothing written on this little bottle .
It only says "vitamin drops for better immune system" and that it contains vitamins A , B1 , B2 , B6 , B12 , C , E and K3.
And to add 5 drops to a water dispenser , I have a bit larger water cup , but I don't even know if it is for small birds .
It just says Vitamins for birds .
Any suggestions would be nice , thank you in advance.

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Re: Bought vitamins , need suggestions

Post by StodOne » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:50 am

Oh and sorry for not posting a single pic for my canary chick i just cant connect USB to my PC for some reason.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:47 pm

StodOne

Seeing as we don't know what type of vitamins they are, I would be cautious and add only 5 drops to your water dish. When it says 'water dispenser', does it give an amount of water on it?

Is there a way to contact the manufacturer, to ask them?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:39 pm

use caution using liquid vitamins in water... within a 24 hour period the vitamins can go rancid, bacteria count can grow 100 fold.... add bits of food and salivia and bacteria and fungals will grow..... when recommending vitamins we typically suggest AviVita Gold (very complete) powder added to soft food as directed.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by StodOne » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:16 pm

lovezebs cindy Thanks for response.
I bought it in a small pet shop there is no info really it just says vitamins for birds, like i said there is no clear info about it so no there is no water ammount.

Sadly there are no products like that here , here its either giving them the vitamins through veggies and fruits or buying something that i dont even know if i should give my birds.
But i am feeling that i will need to provide them with vitamins because the birds dont get a lot of sunlight and i leave a lightbulb on during the day .
I tried rubbing a drop on my hand but it is odorless.

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by StodOne » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Actually now that i think about it i shouldnt give them the vitamins because they all take baths and i dont have where to attach a water diapenser .
I dont know can it be bad if they took bath in water that had vitamins in it?

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:36 pm

StodOne

If you don't feel comfortable with these vitamins, then don't give them to your birds.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:43 pm

Where are you located?

Typically when they bathe they often pass droppings, not good for them to do so, the vitamins and droppings would not be a healthy mix.

can you get pellets diets for birds?

What are you feeding your birds?

~ My Facebook groups ~

StodOne
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by StodOne » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:13 am

cindy To be honest the only seed i know the name of in english is proso milet and thats what i give them there is a bit of pellets in the canary mix , but I think i will go back to just giving them fruits and veggies .
I just feel that i shouldn't give them the vitamins as thats almost like forcing them to drink those vitamins i prefer to let birds choose what to take..
Anyways thanks for the responses I decided not to give them the vitamins.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:12 am

caution with fruits... mostly sugars, water.... you can add the powdered form of vitamins, minerals, amino acid supplements to soft foods/veggies. Veggies are an extra, the main diet is seed and pellets if you use them... there is no way you can come close to replicating the birds nutritional needs using veggies and seed..... it is very difficult. Seed alone is not enough of a main diet... you can also add sprouting/chitting seed to the diet as well.

You are wise not to add the supplemental vitamins to the water for the reasons mentioned above, not only are you forcing the birds to drink it but some drink more or less than others, some may not like the smell or taste and may drink less, a bit unreliable.

Also use caution with too many fruits and veggies, they are about 85 to 90% water, you can literally flush the birds system out with too much/many veggies/fruits... it can flush out the nutrients of other good foods you are serving, too many veggies can also cause malnutrition.

There are several really good organic pellets and several brands of powdered vitamins/minerals you can add to soft foods.

this is a really good reference..... http://avianmedicine.net/publication_ca ... -medicine/

~ My Facebook groups ~