Thistle seedheads for zebra finches?

Learn what to feed your birds.
limechiffon
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thistle seedheads for zebra finches?

Post by limechiffon » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:17 pm

My zebra finches love to play with the dried flowerheads of chives. I don't know if they eat the seeds, but they like pulling them apart. I know wild goldfinches eat thistle. Can I give my zebra finches thistle seedheads to play with and pick out the seeds from?
Gail
*Three Owl finches, 2 Zebra finches, a cat, one painted turtle, one red-eared slider, and too many fish*

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Thistle seedheads for zebra finches?

Post by lovezebs » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:58 pm

limechiffon

I have offered wild thistle seed heads to my birds, they didn't show too much interest really.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:27 am

limechiffon wrote: My zebra finches love to play with the dried flowerheads of chives. I don't know if they eat the seeds, but they like pulling them apart. I know wild goldfinches eat thistle. Can I give my zebra finches thistle seedheads to play with and pick out the seeds from?
You really should avoid giving your birds chives... they are in the same family as onions, garlic, leeks and they can if ingested can cause red blood cells to burst .... rule on the safe side and find something else for them to play with.... avian hemolysis/avian hemolytic anemia

https://www.petcha.com/onions-garlic-birds/

http://bestbirdfoodever.com/home/wp/ind ... -or-leeks/

Chives (Allium schoenoprasum) - the lavander-pink pom pom flower is actually composed of many small florets. Flowers have a mild onion flavor.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

limechiffon
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by limechiffon » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:44 pm

Oh man, I didn't know that. I was going off the list of foods to give in moderation on finchinfo.com. Thanks for the warning!
Gail
*Three Owl finches, 2 Zebra finches, a cat, one painted turtle, one red-eared slider, and too many fish*

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:58 pm

Many foods are harmful if given too much but can be given in moderation. Overfeeding of just about anything will cause trouble--if I was forcefed McDonald's cheeseburgers every day, I'd probably die too! Use common sense when feeding your birds.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org