Can they eat plums?

Learn what to feed your birds.
TheMadGirl
Pip
Pip

Can they eat plums?

Post by TheMadGirl » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:43 am

Good morning!

As the title say, I am wondering, can zebra and society finches eat plums? I've used the search, but I couldn't find much, just some different opinions and all of them from years ago, some said it's safe, others said they are afraid of upset tummies, so, since information is always updating, I am wondering, is it really safe?

Thank you all for your attention!
Best regards.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Can they eat plums?

Post by lovezebs » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:53 am

TheMadGirl

I have to admit that I have never tried plums, although I have tried bits of peach in the past, with the birds showing very little interest in it.

I have offered apple, orange slices, blueberries, strawberries, sliced grapes, banana, watermelon, cantaloupe, raspberries, honeydew, pomagranate, with the favorites being orange slices (cut across) and apples (without the seeds), although they will sample other things as well (depending on the individual bird).

Some people don't believe in offering fruit, but I have always done so as birds in the wild often snack on fruits available to them.

If offering any new food, I would start off with very tiny amounts and never overdo it, so as not to cause upset tummies.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:22 pm

finches generally do not eat fruit.. most fruit is water and sugar... water in fruits can displace other good nutrients in foods they are eating..... veggies and sprouted seeds are better choices.

Birds in the wild have different needs than birds in captivity... not all birds in the wild eat fruit.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

TheMadGirl
Pip
Pip

Post by TheMadGirl » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:39 am

Thank you both for your inputs, I will probably not give them plums after all, the reason that led me to ask is because I eat plums very often and I usually give a small piece to my hamsters and sometimes I kinda of feel bad for the finches. :P
I give some apple from time to time, not regularly like veggies though, they seem to enjoy the apple, but they get just a small slice.