New Seeds

Learn what to feed your birds.
Christian
Nestling
Nestling

New Seeds

Post by Christian » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:33 pm

Always being on the lookout for new food/treat additions, I found some interesting seeds. Although I'm not sure how much my fifes will like them. I'm also not sure what the nutritional content (especially fat) these seeds have. I could have bought a pound of everything, but had to hold myself back. Not an easy feat. Brown top millet, chicory seeds, yellow mustard seeds, orchard grass seeds. I did read that finch enjoy all of these seeds. We shall see. Some may be more tonic seeds. But in moderation, once a week, I think tonic seeds are fine. Will try to sprout them as well.
This past week I got some mustard lettuce, radishes, kiwi, and mango. Mango were not a hit. They don't seem to like juicy items. Too bad because the mango were soft, ripe and delicious. 3 for $2. Oh well, the adventure continues.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: New Seeds

Post by lovezebs » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Christian

Where did you find all these seeds? They sound quite interesting.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Re: New Seeds

Post by cindy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:19 am

Contact or look up Herman Bros.... they are wonderful to buy from.. they will help you put together seeds to try.... also check with them to see if they ship to Canada... not clear on the restrictions regarding seed.

ABBA Seed puts together some interesting seed mixes...you can refer there for the seeds used. Avoid some of the wetter fruits... lots of sugar and high water content.... too much water from certain fruits and veggies can flush other nutrients form foods out of the bird... feed sparingly. Fruit in general (store bought) are typically higher in sugars...veggies, chitted seeds are a good choice.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only