Is there food

Learn what to feed your birds.
Christian
Nestling
Nestling

Is there food

Post by Christian » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:51 pm

I apologize if I asked this before. My canaries are bonkers for grass seeds. But for the life of me I can't find anything in the grass hulls. Unless the seed is super tiny. Are they getting any food from grass seeds or are they just eating but getting nothing. No grass seed goes wasted!!!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Is there food

Post by lovezebs » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:33 pm

Christian

Where are these grass seeds coming from, first of all?
Do you simply collect them in the great outdoors? In your yard?
Those should be okay, unless the grass is treated with pesticides, fertilizers, weed killers, dog pee, or anything else of that nature. If there is even a chance of that, I stay clear of them.

If you're buying grass seed from a store, you have to be very careful that it's not treated with god knows what. Most seeds now days are treated, sprayed, coated, genetically engineered, or who knows what, so I stay away from them.

If they enjoy them (and if you have an area where you pick them from, that is definitely not sprayed or treated with anything), then I would offer them as a treat.

However, I would also offer their regular seed diet, as eating only one thing is not healthy.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

ann
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by ann » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:38 pm

Christian

I know what you mean. I collect grass seed heads from my yard and around the neighborhood, plus I also grow millet. The seeds look big, but if you squeeze it, it's like there's nothing there. Whatever is in there, my guys get very excited when I give it to them, so they must be getting something.
2 owls
2 red-faced parrot finches
1 parrot finch hybrid
4 societies
7 gouldians
2 canaries
2 cocker spaniels

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:57 am

lovezebs, you said 'Most seeds now days are treated, sprayed, coated, genetically engineered, or who knows what, so I stay away from them.

That's a pretty broad statement. Some seed is treated. In retail, which is where most of us would get seed, it is marked if the seed has had a treatment to inhibit disease or bugs. I can think of no retail seed that is GMO, although that might happen with bags or corn or beans from a feed store.

Just ask. If no one knows, then you should probably be trading at a different store anyway.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:49 pm

Dave

Just saying what I do, and what works for me Dave.

I personally stay away from store bought grass seeds, which are not meant for bird consumption, and prefer to pick my grassseeds either in my yard or in areas which I know haven't been sprayed.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:41 am

lovezebs I feed mine timohty from the yard. The dogs only use the front yard, and the stuff that is near the driveway should be fine though, so I am VERY careful where I pick.
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny