Change in diet

Learn what to feed your birds.
Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Change in diet

Post by Dave » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:54 am

Last week my birds changed their own diet.

I have about 30 Canaries in a large walk-in outdoor aviary. For food they get greens and vegetables, sunflower chips, canola seed (rape), canary seed, white millet, greens, boiled eggs, and minerals. I put generous amounts in and let them choose.

All during the molt the boiled egg was gobbled up--close to two large eggs per day for 30 birds--and almost no white millet was eaten.

Just last week, as the molt is complete and we started getting a little cooler, they're eating not much egg and quite a bit more sunflower chips, canola seed and white millet. The amount of canary seed and leafy greens seems to be about the same. They've almost stopped eating vegetables (carrot, sweet potato etc).
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Change in diet

Post by lovezebs » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:13 am

Dave

I do believe that they realize that with the colder weather, they need the seeds with the higher fat content.

They are quite clever, and obey their instincts.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~