Freeze-dried vs live food

Learn what to feed your birds.
kcfd55
Mature
Mature

Freeze-dried vs live food

Post by kcfd55 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:55 pm

Is there a significant nutritional difference between freeze-dried versus live food? Do some species of birds just flat refuse to eat the dried stuff?

Does the difference in nutrition justify the keeping of live food?

Thanks,

Mike

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Freeze-dried vs live food

Post by lovezebs » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:24 pm

kcfd55

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I forget which species you have .

If you are trying to keep and breed certain species of Waxbills, I would say that live foods are more or less a must.

For other species, you can offer freeze dried as is, or crush them, adding the crushed mix into their hard boiled eggs and mixing it in.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

kcfd55
Mature
Mature

Post by kcfd55 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:28 pm

Hello, Elena:

At the moment, I just have the one gouldian and 9 zebras and the zebras will be sent to a local bird store this weekend.

My aviary will be complete this weekend, and the gouldian placed in it. I am now researching birds, some of them as you recommended, and I want to know what I need before buying them. I hope to have some new birds this January, after the Xmas shipping crush.

At the moment, I do want a couple of species of waxbills, along with more gouldians, some owls, and button quail (assuming I can find some).

Soooo, it sounds as if the live foods are in my future. I am lucky in that my fiancee is helping me build this aviary, so won't be too shocked at the bird foods I put in the refrigerator :-BD. And she cannot be too shocked, given the things she's been trying to feed me of her native quisine (she's Chinese) :angel:.

Thanks,

Mike

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:16 am

kcfd55 - Mike, I've tried feeding freeze-dried worms to my birds - no takers. Unless I crumble them very finely and mix them into the egg food (as Elana suggested). But if there is a bigger, recognizable piece or two of the worms left, they will not eat it.
When you get ready to buy mealworms you can order them directly from 'Rainbow Mealworms' in Compton ( 1000 for $6.99 plus shipping). Specify that you want mini (!) mealworms. Otherwise they will be too big for your tiny baby birds. Also, don't be tempted to buy super worms: they cannot be refrigerated and will keep growing at a rapid pace. Mealworms should be refrigerated which will keep them from growing for quite a while. Add one or two pieces of carrot to their container for moisture.

So tomorrow is the big day? Can't wait to see the first pictures of your finished aviary!
Iso

Stuart whiting
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Stuart whiting » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:31 am

ive had this out before not so long ago but in a word yer dont really need any form of live food for zebras and gouldians, these birds are predominantly granvious birds ( basically seedeaters ) and do not require such foods, however birds like waxbills etc one really should at least use live food when breeding.

there is in fact more protein levels in dried food as aposed to live food but to be perfectly honest dried live food is certainly nowhere near as effective, the very best live foods to use will be fruit fly, small maggot, mini mealworm, buffalo worms and waxmoth, however some people out in aussie still use and swear by using termites but unfortunatly we dont have termites here in England because otherwise id most certainly be using em meself,

moral to the story one just simply cant beet using live food for birds that do require it :-BD

kcfd55
Mature
Mature

Post by kcfd55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:19 pm

Iso:

The aviary is completed but wasn't painted until rather late in the day. The one bird I have left (the gouldian) I'll put in next weekend so that it has a full day to get used to the place.

I won't be getting any birds that need live food until the first or second weekend of January so I can avoid the Xmas shipping crush. I will be getting several species of waxbills then.

I posted pictures of the aviary in the Gallery, but here is a sample:

Thanks,

Mike
Attachments
Aviary1.1.jpg

kcfd55
Mature
Mature

Post by kcfd55 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Stuart:

I appreciate the information the gouldians. I expect to receive several species of waxbills this January, so will need the live food then. I have found sources (thank you, Iso!) for mealworms, and also found a place that sells "spikes," which are fly maggots. We'll have to see about that last item :D .

Mike

artgecko
Mature
Mature

Post by artgecko » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:48 pm

Mike- Josh's Frogs also sells spikes. Not sure if they sell mealworms too or not. I know rainbow is a good seller and being in CA, might be closer to you (and cheaper on shipping). Not sure where Josh's Frogs is located.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:01 pm

I have never fed my zebras live food or freeze dried- they just have seed and greens and fruit and they are quite happy with that :D
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds