Nests

Learn what to feed your birds.
Diana R
Pip
Pip

Nests

Post by Diana R » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Our, sole society finch has just stopped going into its coconut hut that he/she has slept in for months now! Its perches through the night. He/she just got done with its monthly bleeding. He's singing eating, chirping at the mirror, nothing new! I can't figure this bird out. We've had him for a year and a month now!

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Re: Nests

Post by Babs _Owner » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:35 am

Diana R

Sounds like your sole society may need a companion . They get lonely without a friend. Societies really should be in pairs or in equal numbered group.

I also recommended on your other thread to take the daily broccoli out of its diet (replace with swiss chard a few times a week) and cut its vitamins down to 2-3 times a week (daily it can be way too much for her body to process ).

If it hasnt puffed up like a pear and sang by now, its probably a female. Check and see if she's laying eggs in the coconut. They can lay eggs without a mate.

I hope this helps.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Babs, I agree with you that vitamins shouldn't be given every day. I almost never use them for my birds, relying instead on offering a selection of foods. I don't think the birds can over-vitaminize on regular foods (excepting pellets).

http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/37.pdf In this article, about 80% through, it talks about hypervitaminosis. Mainly they're concerned about overdosing vitamins A and D3, and Calcium.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Diana R
Pip
Pip

Post by Diana R » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:20 pm

How can you tell if you have a male or female society finch? Still don't know and he\she is on the bleed again!

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:11 pm

Diana R wrote: How can you tell if you have a male or female society finch? Still don't know and he\she is on the bleed again!
If it sings them it is a male.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:54 pm

Diana R yep if it sings then it’s a male also there’s a slight different in ttweet males are abit sharper and quicker than females where fame lad is a Prelonged preee preee preee sound

I agree yep she needs a companion this doesn’t even have to be another society if you don’t want chance of breeding

And what if there’s eggs in the nest and she doesn’t want to sit on them o that’s why she’s left the nest
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:14 pm

I am so lost..... What is monthly bleeding?
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

Diana R
Pip
Pip

Post by Diana R » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:56 pm

He/she bleeds from its vent every month! No vet in area!

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Diana R ooo am sorry but this is not right I’ve never had any finch with this and I have had and still do a lot of society’s and I’ve never had one with this you might need to catch her and have a look near the vent area clearly and make sure everything is fine and no egg stuck every month or something
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Diana R
Pip
Pip

Post by Diana R » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:55 pm

Unfortunately, I can't catch him! I am going to stop giving him broccoli, and just his seeds and calcium powder! I never see an egg! Warm water seems to help it heal! My friend got him in Nov of 2016, and he's done this since we got him! Thanks for your info!

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:37 pm

That is so strange. I hope you are able to figure out what is causing it.

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Is your finch in aviary or cage? Fish nets are great for catching birds or you can catch him/her at night which is probably the easiest way to catch birds ?

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:03 am

Diana R what other veggies are you feeding him some can cause bad diahrea in the birds and if he eats to much it might be causing him to bleed try him with just seeds and miller for about a month and see if it doesn’t happen :mrgreen: hope all works out
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Diana R
Pip
Pip

Post by Diana R » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:32 pm

Thanks! I don't need to catch him cos he seems to put his tail up, at front of cage, so I see what the vent looks like! He seems to be showing us, as if to say help me!! Poor, strong guy! I can kinda tell when its going to happen, he seems to look like he's trying to poop, almost like a bounce poop! We took him off his millet for a month, so it wasn't that. I'm going to stop with broccoli for a month to see if its that. I give it to him almost everyday, its the only other "people food" he likes! I've tried fruits and veggies but he doesn't seem to like anything else! Someone else suggested egg binding. They had even heard of a male doing it before! I never see anything that looks like an egg, and I read somewhere, that if it got stuck in body, he wouldn't survive!!! Thanks for help!

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:42 pm

Do you think it is a male? I have never heard of males getting egg bound mainly because I don't think males lay eggs ?! When my Zebs get egg bound they usually just sit on the ground or they act all sleepy and like their in pain, so if your society just carries on like normal then it probably wouldnt be this. I think taking him/her off brocoli for a month sounds like a good idea. You mentioned s/he doesn't like any other vege and fruit - have you tried chickweed and silver beet?