Best Commercial Egg Food Brand (in US)?

Learn what to feed your birds.
artgecko
Mature
Mature

Best Commercial Egg Food Brand (in US)?

Post by artgecko » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:07 pm

Hello all,

I'm getting up a birdseed and supply order and want opinions on what brand of egg food mix to purchase.

I've heard good things about Skippo (not sure if spelling is correct) and Cede, but I've never used either.

I've been using Quicko and have not been happy with the texture (has large chunks).

If you know of a good brand or a particular variety of a brand (i.e. tropical finch, etc.) that works well, please let me know. I will be using it for budgies, canaries, and (hopefully) soon some gouldians or societies.

Thank you for your time and help!

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Re: Best Commercial Egg Food Brand (in US)?

Post by isobea » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:52 pm

artgecko - I've used both CeDe and Quiko since 1982. I always mix it with hard boiled egg and sometimes add pulverized freeze dried blood worms. None of my birds seem to like the blood worms - if there are larger, recognizable pieces, they leave them behind. So lately I have gone to mixing the hard boiled egg with regular Quiko and some Quiko Goldy. All my birds love that combination.
Iso

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:40 pm

I use Higgins protein egg food. My Javas seem to like it.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:51 pm

http://www.abbaseed.com/Seed_Products/N ... en_92.html
Abba Seed (New Jersey) has an egg food that is popular.

If you're feeding a balanced diet, you may not need a commercial egg food. Balanced means seeds, greens, sunflower chips, mineral mix, and chopped boiled egg. I've raised a lot of birds on just that.

Perhaps add liquid calcium + vitamin D3, two or three times per week prior to egg laying. http://www.morningbirdproducts.com/prod ... mplus.html
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:19 am

artgecko I happen to like Volkman's Gourmet Egg food, but I don't feed it by itself, I mix it into my homemade egg food to dry it out a bit. My birds will leave behind large pieces, so I do grind it up a little in a blender or food processor to make the pieces smaller.

Any of the egg foods mentioned in this thread are probably good, all made by well-known companies.

I also like Skipio's products, I also add these to my homemade mix. I don't feed any egg food just plain by itself.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

artgecko
Mature
Mature

Post by artgecko » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:03 am

Thank you all so much for your input!

I typically mix the commercial egg food with boiled egg and shell, crushed spray millet, some calcium D3 and mineral powder, and some kelp powder. I will also add in some shredded (food processed) veggies to the mix as well.

On days that I don't use an egg, I'll do the same mixture, but with just the veggies.

I will investigate some of the types you guys mentioned and see if the sellers I typically use offer them.

Thank you again for your time and help!

Finnie
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Finnie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:50 am

Here is a simple idea. If you're using fresh hard boiled eggs anyway, you can skip the processed egg food and just mix in some whole grain corn flour. (I use Bob's Red Mill. It's cheaper on Amazon.) I've also used brown rice flour and ground flaxseed meal. It just depends on what Ive bought for cooking and have extra of. The birds seem to like this just as much, or more, than when I was using Higgin's Proteen egg food. (I found the Higgin's to be ok, but only cost effective in the 20# size. I don't need that large a quantity any more.)

You can mix in any whole grain. Grind it up shells and all in a small food processor if you have one.
-Finnie

34 Budgies
13 Gouldian Finches
13 Society Finches
6 Owl Finches
4 Yellow Face Star finches
16 Bourke's Parakeets
4 Cockatiels

5 chickens!

OMG this signature is so outdated! Make that 50 chickens!

artgecko
Mature
Mature

Post by artgecko » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:50 pm

Finnie That is a good idea. I had not thought about using my own grains.. Would something like quick oats work?

OK guys, I had another thought. I purchase an organic chicken layer crumble for my feeder colony (insects) and I was wondering fi it would be a good addition for egg food? I know that laying hens need many of the same minerals and nutrients. This is a non-medicated food and I'm assuming it would process (in a food processor) down to a fine size.

I will post a link to one of the products I use below and the ingredients are listed there.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... lets-40-lb

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:15 pm

I've tried layer mash (some call it crumbles) again and again, thinking it would solve all the nutrition problems a Canary could ever run into. But, they would never eat it. Even mixed with foods they liked, it just sat there.
Dave

Canaries

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:34 pm

I've tried lots, like Cede the best.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

artgecko
Mature
Mature

Post by artgecko » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:20 pm

Dave Huh... I'll maybe give it a try and see.. but I'm guessing if yours wouldn't eat it, then mine probably won't either. I wonder if they don't like all the corn in it.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:05 pm

Let us know. I don't think it is just the corn, as I put a teaspoon of corn meal with copped egg, to help dry it out. They eat that up.
Dave

Canaries

Finnie
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Finnie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:39 pm

I think quick oats processed with the hard boiled eggs would work fine. I have used Purina Flock Raiser crumbles in the past in my egg food. I can't remember which birds liked it or how well. Probably not very well, or I would still be using it.
-Finnie

34 Budgies
13 Gouldian Finches
13 Society Finches
6 Owl Finches
4 Yellow Face Star finches
16 Bourke's Parakeets
4 Cockatiels

5 chickens!

OMG this signature is so outdated! Make that 50 chickens!

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:11 am

Cede is the one I use. My guys prefer the canary blend - they won't eat the extra stuff in the finch blend. My parakeets eat it too. None of my guys will eat actual egg. They don't seem to like "wet" foods such as eggs and fruits.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.