Freezing Greens

Learn what to feed your birds.
Christian
Nestling
Nestling

Freezing Greens

Post by Christian » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:49 pm

Two Questions regarding edible greens.
I have no problem finding "fresh" greens at the market. But I always have leftovers that spoil after a few days. Can greens, such as spinach, Bok choi.....be frozen into smaller servings? Or will it lose nutrients this way. Like to make batches to serve each day.
Do you grow greens in containers outdoors? I've got plenty of garden space, but it's very hard soil. So I thought growing a few plants in containers. Have fresh greens for my birds during the summer.
Any thoughts? Thank you from Minnesota, USA

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Freezing Greens

Post by wildbird » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:42 pm

Fresh greens from containers would good as long as there's no pesticide on them. Always rinse before serving anyway. Don't know about freezing greens.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:36 am

Christian

My birds do well with frozen vegetables; broccoli is their favorite, but they also eat peas and corn. Spinach can be frozen, but the texture tends to go weird and crumbly, so it might be better to sprinkle it on top of other soft food once it thaws.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:31 am

you can also freeze chitted seed but be sure it is dried before freezing it

look up Sprouting the Mike Fiedler Way... should be three separate videos to the series.... tip with frozen veggies, thaw in the fridge overnight not out on the counter to avoid bacteria, fungal or thaw in a pot of water warming the veggies, do not boil... greens such as romaine, some of the darker lettuce does not freeze well since they are water filled and the water in the veins tend to freeze, spoiling the food.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:01 pm

wildbird wrote: Fresh greens from containers would good as long as there's no pesticide on them. Always rinse before serving anyway. Don't know about freezing greens.
Silver beet grows fine indoors so you could always try growing some indoors if you wanted to.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:37 am

Christian
I keep my greens in the fridge, and they last quite a long time in plasic bags, or plastic containers.

As was mentione above, certain veggies can be frozen, but leafy greens don't freeze well.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~