Meatmeal for finches?

Learn what to feed your birds.
mick1933
Nestling
Nestling

Meatmeal for finches?

Post by mick1933 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:32 am

Hi. Has anyone ever given their finches meatmeal. When I was breeding budgies I had a mix that had meatmeal in it that I baked like bread and then reduced to crumble and they couldn't get enough of it. Mick Arnold
10 Fyfe Canaries (bred a couple) ,2 pair of mosaic canaries,about 20 or so red factor canaries, 8 button quail, 1 fox terrier dogs (Roxi my girl dog died), no mice or rats but holes in the lawn.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Meatmeal for finches?

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:39 am

Hi, I've never heard of giving finches or budgies meat meal sorry. I just give my birds various seeds, egg food, Cuttle bone (and other calcium supplements) vege and fruit.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by lovezebs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:23 am

mick1933

I am not familiar with meat meal. What are the ingtredients, and what is it meant to feed?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:43 pm

I would never give anything containing meat to finches, especially with the chemicals used to process meat and the antibiotics given to the animals it comes from. And that would be meat for human consumption, so just imagine what could be in that meat meal. Also, don't feed any foods that are made in China.

cindy
Bird Brain
Bird Brain

Post by cindy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:36 am

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing ... meat-meal/ discusses what meat meal is and the pros and cons of what it can contain.

I would not, the protein is very high for finches daily requirements.... egg as my avian vet said is a perfect source of protein, vitamins, minerals and amino acids.

Too high a protein suddenly and daily can over work kidneys and compromise the health of the birds.

Zebra, Gouldians, Java, CBM Shaft tail & Grasskeets

~ My Facebook groups ~

*Finchaholics ~ finches, hookbills, softbills & canaries are welcome here!
discussions regarding species, housing, breeding, preventatives, treatments

*Birdaholics ~ Avian Classified Ads Only