To grow or not

Learn what to feed your birds.
Christian
Nestling
Nestling

To grow or not

Post by Christian » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm still deciding whether it makes sense to grow my own greens for my canaries or not. Someone mentioned (not on this forum) that too much greens is not good. I'm looking at 5 varieties of romaine lettuce. Since its compact enough for container growing. Or should I just buy them from the supermarket? It is an investment and wonder what route I should take. Money is not the issue. Is fresh homegrown best? Please help.

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Re: To grow or not

Post by Dave » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:38 pm

I've never seen a case of a Canary eating too much greens. I've let mine have all they will eat, and I've done that for a lot of years.

If you grow your own, choose a variety that has dense foliage. Are you growing these under lights? In Minnesota there isn't much choice unless you have a greenhouse. No matter how you grow plants under lights, they can get thin and stretchy.

Maybe consider sprouts. Your regular seed mix will work. Most people grow sprouts until the root tip is just emerging from the seed. If you want greens, grow them a little longer. You could cycle a batch ever two weeks.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Christian
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Christian » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:41 pm

Dave wrote: I've never seen a case of a Canary eating too much greens. I've let mine have all they will eat, and I've done that for a lot of years.

If you grow your own, choose a variety that has dense foliage. Are you growing these under lights? In Minnesota there isn't much choice unless you have a greenhouse. No matter how you grow plants under lights, they can get thin and stretchy.

Maybe consider sprouts. Your regular seed mix will work. Most people grow sprouts until the root tip is just emerging from the seed. If you want greens, grow them a little longer. You could cycle a batch ever two weeks.
I would grow them in a large raised bed in late spring outdoors.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:51 pm

If you are going to try this, why not grow some kale? It is much more nutritious than romaine. I also don't believe that you can overdo most greens, though it is not good to give them only one type of green IMO. Variety is always best. The advantage to growing your own is that you can grow organically and it is always fresh, but I don't know that there is any particular advantage in nutrition over store-bought.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:09 pm

The only greens you need to be careful with are spinach and kale. Dark leafy greens in moderation only, maybe a couple times a week. They interfere with calcium absorbtion. In breeding birds that would not be good.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

Dave
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave

Post by Dave » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:49 pm

wilkifam, why kale? Spinach I understand, since it has oxalates that bind calcium.
Dave

Campbellsville, Kentucky, USA
Canaries

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:43 pm

My birds love silver beet, so you could always try growing that. They love chickweed as well.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:01 am

Kale doesn't have nearly as much oxalic acid as the spinach. I no longer feed spinach at all - lost a bird to egg binding that I believe was brought on at least in part by my allowing them to stuff themselves to their little birdy gills with spinach nearly every day.

I don't do that any more. But kale is fine.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.