How much crushed eggshells should I feed my zebra finches?

Learn what to feed your birds.
Zebrafinch000
Pip
Pip

How much crushed eggshells should I feed my zebra finches?

Post by Zebrafinch000 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:30 pm

Hello everyone,

My two female zebra finches love to eat crushed eggshells. My question is, how much should I feed them? How much is too much? If they keep eating whenever I give them, does it mean their bodies need the nutrients or can they be consuming too much calcium? I asked because they can’t seem to get enough of eggshells all the time, yet I don’t want to over feed them.

*They don’t have partners but keep laying eggs so I think it’s essential to give them calcium... or does it actually make matters worse (does it cause them to lay more eggs)?

Thanks in advance!

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: How much crushed eggshells should I feed my zebra finche

Post by Sheather » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:44 am

I keep it in a cup always available to them, they eat as much as they need.
~Dylan

~~~

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:24 pm

I also keep crushed egg shells available at all times. I agree with Sheather, they will eat as much as they need. Since your birds keep laying eggs, they need a constant supply of calcium. Don't worry about it. In fact, I can tell by the amount of egg shell eaten that at least one of the females in my aviary is either close to laying eggs or has already started laying.
Iso

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:09 am

Zebrafinch000, No, calcium doesn't cause them to lay more eggs. Give them as much as they want.

Zebrafinch000
Pip
Pip

Post by Zebrafinch000 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:44 pm

Thank you everyone for your reply! I’ll make sure to put enough amount of eggshells for them ;-)

Sojourner
2 Eggs Laid
2 Eggs Laid

Post by Sojourner » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:28 pm

I free feed multiple sources of calcium.

1) crushed egg shell
2) ABBA blue mineral mix
3) cuttlebone
4) mineral block - as is for parakeets, score it or knock off the corners for finches. Their bills aren't as strong.

Sometimes they use one source more than another for whatever reason, but they do use all 4 sources over the course of time. The stuff can't rot so as long as it is clean its safe to leave it there for however long it takes to use it up.
Molly Brown 11/22/15
Pyewacket 6/15/17
Trudy 2/24/18

Turn towards home, and go there. Many overs, over woods and fields, streams and hills, many overs. Just turn towards home. How else would one go there? Perhaps it was a dream, and you have awakened from it. May the earth rise up beneath you, with home in your heart, and your person waiting.